Ranma and Shampoo
By: Donny Cheng

This is a Revised Version of the story. I've added a prologue. I've taken out the previous last two chapters. It was my pitiful attempt at introducing a new villain. In their place, I've added two new chapters. This story takes place after volume 38 of the manga. It draws ideas from both the anime and manga. Disclaimer: All characters portrayed in this story are owned by Rumiko Takahashi and co. Please don't sue me.

Prologue

The night sky over Nerima was almost totally black with clouds covering up most of the sky. Most of the population was inside sleeping snug in their beds, not wanting to be outside on such a cold night. In short, it was a perfect night for the figure, clad in a dark cloak, huddled on the roof of a certain dojo. The figure waited quietly until all of the occupants within were all asleep.

* * * * *

Shampoo breathed a sigh of relief as she removed the hood of her cloak. Nobody had discovered her entrance. She slipped stealthily through the dojo to her destination. Shampoo chided herself as she neared the door of Ranma's room. The amount of times she had crept about the dojo had given her intimate knowledge of every nook and cranny. She needn't worry about someone hearing her come in. She could have come in blind folded and she still would not have made a single sound.

Slowly, she opened the door and went in. Ever since Ranma's parents had gotten back together, Ranma slept by himself in the dojo. It made for much easier access. He was sleeping soundly when she neared him. She smiled at that. Her husband's detection skills were highly over-rated. It was true that his sense of danger was legendary. However, it did him no good when the one approaching was one that he did not considered a threat. Also, he tended to sleep like a log.

Shampoo sighed as she looked adoringly upon Ranma's sleeping face. So peaceful. She quickly removed the rest of her cloak. Then as quietly as she could, she cuddled up to Ranma and tried to get some sleep before dawn would arise. Her last thoughts as sleep claimed her was of the first time she had done this.

* * * * *

**flashback**

Shampoo tossed and turned in her bed as she tried desperately to go to sleep. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't. This was the second day in a row that she couldn't sleep. The events that had taken place a couple of days ago still haunted her. What if Ranma hadn't got there in time? What would she have done if she had to spend the rest of her life with the Ghost Cat for a mate? What would she have done if she never saw Ranma ever again? All these questions kept going over and over in her mind. It had been a close one that night. The thought of losing Ranma had been stuck in her mind ever since that incident. Shampoo flung the blankets away from her in anger. There was only one way for her to truly get some peace of mind. That was to see Ranma.

* * * * *

Ranma awoke all of a sudden as he felt someone jump him.

"Wha...!"

Shampoo quickly clamped her hands over Ranma's mouth and whispered to him to be quiet.

"Airen, Shampoo couldn't sleep. Always remember the night the Ghost Cat take Shampoo. Please let Shampoo sleep beside Ranma. Promise to be quiet."

With that said, she slowly let go of Ranma's mouth.

Ranma looked at Shampoo appraisingly. She looked like hell. There were bags under her eyes and her hair was all over the place.

"Alright, but no funny stuff. You got that, Shampoo?"

Ranma could never find it in his heart to say no to a girl in desperate need of help. Besides, it would cause too much noise to make Shampoo leave his room. He shuddered as he thought of what would happen if Akane found him with Shampoo.

Shampoo smiled thankfully at him and slid into bed beside him, careful not to disturb the panda, Ranma called a father. Somehow, knowing that Ranma was beside her and not getting away, she was able to immediately go to sleep.

Ranma smiled as he looked at Shampoo's smiling, sleeping face. He guessed that maybe it wasn't all that bad that he let her sleep beside him.

**end flashback**

* * * * *

It ended up becoming a weekly routine for Shampoo to sleep beside Ranma. It was the only way for her to be with him without him trying to push her away and the only way that she could be sure he would not leave her for at least one more night.

Shampoo arose quietly, so as not to wake Ranma up. The sun was about to come up. She would have to leave for the Nekohanten before Kasumi got up to make breakfast. She forced herself to not look back as she left the dojo. It would only make it harder for her to leave if she saw her airen's face again.

Ranma slowly opened one eye and then the other. Shampoo had left. Ranma cursed himself for his weakness. He should never have let this come as far as it had. The time he spent with Shampoo had made him realise, now more than ever, that he truly did not want to hurt her. Every morning he would pretend to be asleep when Shampoo finally woke up. He would feel her frantically hold him, as if assuring herself that he was still there. Ranma desperately hoped that when the time came for him to choose a bride, everything would have worked out.

He was in a foul mood and he needed to vent some of his pent up frustrations. After getting dressed as quickly as he could, he went to his parents' room. He knocked on the door as loudly as he could.

"Hey, pop! Wake up! Let's start sparring early today."

* * * * *

Part 1

Cologne was tired. Perched, atop her staff, she began to meditate and reflect on the events that were now happening beyond her control. This was all son-in-law's fault. If only he would make a decision, everyone could get on with his or her lives. She laughed at herself for still considering him to be her son-in-law. If Ranma were to make a decision on whom to marry, she highly doubted he would choose Shampoo after the wedding fiasco. Yes, it was time to admit defeat and return to the village in disgrace. Sighing, she went to tell Shampoo of her decision.

* * * * *

Shampoo cried. <I will not leave Nerima. I won't leave without Ranma. Great-grandmother please don't make us return. I have confidence that I can win Ranma's heart.>

Seeing Shampoo's confidence start to break and openly weep answered her question.

<I don't care what the others will think. I don't care if Ranma doesn't marry me. I just want to be with him.> She gasped and quickly held her mouth shut, staring wildly at Cologne. Her secret was out.

Cologne shook her head sadly as she left Shampoo to cry.

Damn that Ranma, she thought to herself. The object of many girls' desires. Hunted by many, yet never losing his heart to another. He left all that chased him victims of their own passions. How many more hearts must he break before he finally made a decision?

Well, no more. She would find out if he held any feelings for her great-granddaughter at all. She smiled grimly as she thought up a plan. For the first time today, Cologne felt optimistic of the future.

* * * * *

, Shampoo asked as she calmed down now that her fear of being taken away from Ranma was placated.

<I've asked Ranma to help Mousse out at the restaurant for the time we will be away. It seems that boy is in debt up to his neck with Nabiki. So, you don't have to worry about Ranma not being watched while you're gone.>

* * * * *

Ranma belted another customer that made a pass at her as she waited on the tables at the Nekohanten. Man, there sure were a lot of perverts who came here. Idly, she thought of the training Shampoo was going through and that she might come back better than she was. Her ego quickly squashed down that notion. She broke out of her reverie as Cologne followed by Shampoo entered the restaurant.

Shampoo immediately glomped onto Ranma upon seeing her.

"Did groom miss Shampoo, while Shampoo away?"

"No, uh... ah yes."

Ranma half-heartedly said as she saw Shampoo getting angry. Damn it. Why was she such a softhearted fool? The plant beside her was suddenly hit with a barrage of chains, as Mousse descended upon it.

"Saotome, you wretch. How dare you try and molest my beloved Shampoo now that she is back?"

"Stupid Mousse, Shampoo right here. Groom can do anything groom want with Shampoo."

Soon their yearlong argument began anew.

Ranma steeled herself away from the bickering and was confronted by Cologne.

"Son-in-law, er... I mean Ranma. During our trip, Shampoo gave me the exact details on how you defeated Shampoo in your male form. Knocking her out while she was engaged in a fight with another is not honorable combat. Therefore, it is well within my rights, as her legal guardian, that I annul your marriage to her. However, if you would like your marriage to resume unhindered you will have to defeat her in combat. I am going to hold a martial arts tournament starting tomorrow for Shampoo's hand in marriage. Attend it, if you think you can beat her in fair combat."

This last sentence she said with a smirk. Mousse immediately broke his argument with Shampoo when he heard this.

"Is this true you old ghoul? Can even previous losers participate?"

Cologne bopped him on the head for that remark and answered again with a smirk.

"Any can enter if they think they can beat her."

Shampoo also bopped him on the head as she glomped onto Ranma,

"Groom will try and win back Shampoo. Is right?"

She looked at Ranma earnestly as she went in for the kiss.

"Wode airen."

Ranma recovered her wits, which she lost upon hearing that she was now rid of Shampoo.

"Shampoo we're both girls right now! Er, gee look at the time. It's quitting time already. I guess I better be going."

She escaped from Shampoo's clutches and vaulted atop various buildings home.

Shampoo absently licked her hand as she watched the man (or rather woman now) she loved leap away. Ooh! That Ranma. She got away again.

Whoohoo! He broke up with Shampoo without hurting her. Though, part of his mind nagged at him for something Cologne had said. She had insinuated that he could not beat Shampoo in a fair fight. No, the other part of his mind said. She's just goading you into another scheme. His mood went downhill as went he went home thinking.

* * * * *

"Ranma-kun, I heard you were dumped by Shampoo."

Nabiki smirked in that infuriating way of hers as she counted her money in front of him. Ranma twitched slightly.

"She did not dump me. Our marriage was annulled. Arrgh! No I didn't mean it like we were ever married or..."

Ranma was now lying in pain as Akane withdrew her hammer. Nodoka smiled as she heard this.

"That's good my son. I know you did not want to hurt Shampoo in any way."

"So, Ranma are you going to go and try to win Shampoo's hand in the tournament? I heard that everyone who has participated today has lost to her. Mousse has lost about ten times already."

This caught Ranma off guard. He thought that Mousse, if given another chance, could beat Shampoo. Akane took his lack of response badly and punted him into LEO.

"Fine, if you want her so much, go to her you pervert."

"As if I'd want you, you uncute tomboooyyy!"

* * * * *

Ranma sat atop a roof, nursing his sore head, thinking. He had to know for sure if Shampoo was now much stronger. He couldn't trust Mousse to actually hit anyone he couldn't see half the time, much less, loved. He had to find someone close to his own abilities that should not have trouble beating Shampoo. He then caught sight of a familiar lost boy.

* * * * *

"Shampoo happy to see Ryoga."

The purple haired girl gushed at him.

"Shampoo wanted to tell Ryoga, Shampoo have been always in love with Ryoga."

Ryoga stuttered and nose bled at the close proximity of a girl in skintight clothing. He put a hand at the back of his head and started to stammer nervously.

"But I love another girl and what about Ranma?"

"What about him?"

Ranma asked Ryoga as she took off her wig and gave him an inane grin.

Ryoga immediately went into a blind rage.

"Ranma, again you toy with my feelings! Because of you, I've seen hell! I swear, today you die!"

"Nyaa, nyaa. You can't catch me."

Ranma put on her wig and ran towards the place where the tournament was being held.

* * * * *

Shampoo was panicking. She hadn't seen Ranma all day. The day was coming to a close. Nobody had even come close to beating her. Hundreds of people were in the lines waiting to fight her, except the man she most wanted to see. She was shocked at the ease at which she bested all. The training she had gone under couldn't have helped her this much. All she did during her training session with great-grandmother was eat, sleep, and play. Her hopes lifted immediately the moment she saw Ranma running towards her.

In her happiness, she did not notice that Ranma was dressed like her in female form or that an enraged Ryoga behind Ranma.

* * * * *

The moment she and Ryoga neared the arena, Ranma hid in the crowd watching the tournament. She smiled and stood back to watch the fight unfold. True to form, Ryoga thought the person on the log arena was Ranma and jumped in to fight Shampoo. Ranma's joys turned sour as she watched Ryoga being pummeled. Fear gripped her stomach as she watched Shampoo use the nekoken.

Though Ranma had never seen the art itself, there could be no other way to describe the way Shampoo was mauling Ryoga. After she was done, she started to lick her hands clean.

"So Ranma, you recognize the technique Shampoo is using."

Cologne croaked at Ranma as she appeared out of nowhere.

Startled, Ranma began to shake with rage.

"You mean to tell me you dumped your own great-granddaughter into a pit of hungry cats."

She shuddered at the very thought.

Cologne bopped Ranma on the head.

"No, you idiot. Do I look stupid? I merely let her play with a litter of kittens for a few weeks in both her cat and human form. During the time she was playing with them, I would use a few shiatsu memory techniques on her. I was therefore able to ingrain cat characteristics into her subconscious. Shampoo is now faster and stronger than ever before. She also knows the nekoken to a limited degree. I'm afraid that even you can not defeat her now."

Cologne cackled at the sight of Ryoga being dragged off the log.

Ranma just stared at Shampoo. Her mind was in a whirl. The only thing she could think of was that she could not allow an implied challenge to be ignored. With a determined face she jumped on to the log, thankful that she was already in her female form. Her rule of not attacking girls could be bent slightly if she herself was a girl. Also, she did not want to hurt Shampoo too badly with her stronger male form.

* * * * *

Shampoo's hope turned again to despair as she saw Ranma battered and bruised looking at her grimly. At first, she couldn't understand why Ranma's attacks were so slow and weak against her, even with his tendency to hold back. It slowly dawned on her that she was the one that was different. She was now faster and stronger than everyone was at the arena with the exception of her great-grandmother. Ranma again came at her with a flurry of punches and kicks. She felt hopeless as she easily dodged the slow attacks and again sent her attacker back with a kick to the midsection. She couldn't stand it anymore. When Ranma attacked again, she will let a hit get past her defenses and knock her off the log. No! The amazon within her yelled. Where is your pride?! Where is your amazon honor? She didn't care, she told herself. Without Ranma, she had nothing to live for anyway.

* * * * *

Ranma was breathing hard. Her attacks seemed to be useless against Shampoo. She had various bruises all over her body. Shampoo was not even hurt in the slightest. What could she do to win? Her conscience wouldn't allow her to use her special techniques against Shampoo. However, her training in the Anything Goes style also would not allow her to lose to anyone. Pounding the log arena in frustration, she made a decision. She would try not to hurt Shampoo too much. Leaping at Shampoo, she launched her katchu tenshin amaguriken technique, making sure to pull her all of her punches. She saw Shampoo suddenly stand down from a defensive stance. What was Shampoo doing? Flipping through the air to avoid the Amazon, she landed on the ground with a thud. She had lost.

"Shampoo, if you ever do that again, I will never speak to you again."

Ranma ran before anyone could see the tears starting to form in her eyes.

Shampoo allowed the tears on her face to flow freely as she watched Ranma flee. She secretly hoped that tomorrow Ranma would win, though in her heart she knew that he would never try his hardest against a girl that was not his enemy. Combined with the nekoken she now knew she was using, Ranma would most probably never win. Her tears never stopped flowing that night.

* * * * *

Akane was angry. She had heard about Ranma's fight with Shampoo. So, he did go and fight for her hand. Him and his egotistical, macho attitude. She then heard the dojo doors open. Well, he's finally back. He's probably going to gloat now. Fuming, she went to pound the hell out of Ranma. However, all thoughts vanished as she saw the state Ranma was in. His clothes were ripped in some places. There were cuts and bruises all over his body. What scared her the most, was his face. His face was gaunt and his eyes had a haunted look about them.

"What happened Ranma?"

Her voice was worried.

"I... I lost to Shampoo."

He stammered to Akane. He could still not quite believe it.

That got Akane fuming. That was his big problem?!

"I thought you didn't want Shampoo as your fianc�e. You should be happy she's out of your hair without you even having to hurt her."

"I lost."

Seeing Akane's uncomprehending face, Ranma let out a sigh.

"I'm not the best fighter anymore."

"So you're still second best. I don't see what's wrong with that."

"You just don't understand. I don't think you've ever understood me."

With that, Ranma turned and went to his room.

Akane looked at him leave, with a frown on her face. She'd better get Auntie Saotome to look in on him.

* * * * *

Ranma was lying on his back staring at the ceiling, when his mother came in.

"Ranma, there is something troubling you. Would you like to tell me what it is?"

Ranma turned towards his mother.

"I lost a fight today. I don't have confidence in ever winning this one without going all out and hurting a friend in the process."

"Ranma, you can't always go through life expecting to never lose. Is it so very bad that Shampoo defeated you and you are now not the best?"

"Yes! Yes it is very bad. I've trained my whole life in the Anything Goes style. Everything I know and believe in was taught to me by the art. I cannot ever back down, give up, or lose. The only thing I have in the world is my martial art. My training has cost me my childhood, my friends, and my time with my mother."

This last part had him almost in tears, but he continued on.

"To break any of my principles, is for me to admit my whole life has been a waste of time. Wasted time that could have been spent with my mother."

Nodoka stared at her son for a moment. She too broke down and started to hug her son.

"Do what you will. I will not stop you. I just want to ask you one question. You now have everything you said you had lost. Will you give it all up in the pursuit to be the best?"

Ranma was silent as he hugged his mother closer to him.

* * * * *

Part 2

Ranma was in the training hall practicing for his upcoming match with Shampoo again. He replayed his battle with Shampoo in his mind as he performed the various katas with precision. He could not for the life of him figure out how he could have fought the battle any differently. Even if he did not hold back, he didn't think he could defeat a skilled fighter like Shampoo using the nekoken. Though Shampoo often got mad at him, he doubted she would get mad enough at him for the hiryu shoten ha technique to work properly. At the moment his confidence, was not high enough for his moko takabashi to do much damage. Shampoo was too good a fighter for the Saotome-Ryu tricks to be effective for long. Also, he wanted to have a convincing victory over her. He stopped his practice with yell as he proceeded to pound the floor in anger.

"Tsk, tsk, Ranma my boy. Is that any way to treat the dojo?"

Happosai admonished Ranma as he suddenly appeared from behind.

"What do you want, you old lech? Sorry, I'm not in the mood to fight with you."

"I heard about your battle with Shampoo. I am ashamed of you. How could you, a student of Anything Goes, lose the one of Cologne's pupils?"

"Do you mean you could have done better against her?"

Ranma scoffed at the old master.

"But, of course. One does not live a few hundred years without learning anything. You, however, do not have the experience to deal with the most powerful martial art ever created. I'm afraid the only way you could win was if you use the nekoken also. Or, you could model a few bras for me and I could teach you a trick or two."

Happosai, dropping his knowledgeable master act, threw a pail of water at Ranma and glomped onto him, now her.

Ranma immediately punted the pervert into LEO.

"I should've know better than to listen to you."

However, Ranma did think about what the lech had said. To beat the nekoken, she would have to use the nekoken. She then remembered the destruction she saw every time she woke up from the trance caused by the nekoken she used. Shuddering, she banished the thought from her mind. There was no way in hell, that she would use the nekoken against someone who didn't even bear her any malice. Sighing, she started up her practice again.

* * * * *

For the next week, Nerima was abuzz with the news of the fight to win Shampoo's hand. The news of an opponent that was impossible to beat had every martial artist with any training trying to defeat her whether they wanted to marry her or not. After awhile, the number of people wanting to challenge her dwindled to but two people: Ranma and Mousse. However, as great as Mousse's devotion was to Shampoo, the will of Cologne was greater. The Nekohanten needed Mousse to be there. Pretty soon, the battles between Ranma and Shampoo became what legends were made of. Battle after battle, Ranma would be defeated at the hands of Shampoo, only to come back again and again. Watching one of their fights was like driving a nail into your heart. Both combatants knowing full well there can only be one result, yet fighting on the basis of one glimmer of hope. Ranma's life meant nothing to him if he could not win. Shampoo's life meant nothing to her if she could not be with Ranma.

Ranma sank to his knees exhausted. Ranma cursed himself under his breath. Though he slowly got better after every day and was now fighting in his male form, Shampoo also improved with him as a constant sparring partner. If things kept on going the same way, it would be a long time before he could ever beat Shampoo. This fight had been particularly long. It had lasted twelve hours before any of them could gain any advantage. He slowly got up and, with out looking at Shampoo in the eyes, told her to rest the next day. He would be back the following day.

* * * * *

Arguing and bickering can be heard at Uuchan's as the day rolled to a close.

"Alright everybody, quiet! Yelling at each other won't get us anywhere."

Ukyo pacified the others.

"Now, even though some of us here don't like the fact that if Ranma wins he will be re-engaged to that Chinese bimbo."

This of course prompted Mousse to attack the nearest stool.

"Who are calling a bimbo?!"

Everyone bigsweated.

"Anyway, I think we all know that for all of us to get some piece of mind, Shampoo will have to lose. The only reason that she has not lost is because that jackass Ranma won't go all out on her. Now do any of you have any suggestions."

This started off another round of arguing.

Nabiki cleared her throat. Everyone in the room immediately stopped. Time seemed to stand still as Nabiki slowly held up her note pad. Written on it was a clearly printed number: $50,000 yen. Thoughtful looks were on every ones faces as they pondered on it. Nabiki smirked as everyone agreed to pitch in for the sum.

* * * * *

Shampoo felt something was not right with the atmosphere. The mood around her was very tense, as if waiting for something to happen. She looked up wearily at the log arena. She silently hated it. Every time she got up on it, it resulted in her beloved's downfall. She then saw Ranma walking up to stand silently beside her.

Ranma eventually broke the silence.

"You hate it too, don't you. I'm sorry to put you through this, Shampoo. I wanted you to know that I've never disliked you."

"Shampoo understand. Remember, Shampoo chase Ranma all over China because Shampoo lose."

"Yes, I remember. You're probably the only one that understands what this means to me. Thank you."

Ranma then jumped up onto the log and awaited the fight to begin.

Their battle with each other had become a dance. They would weave in and out of each other's way. At one moment one took the lead, at the next the other. They communicated to each other not with words, but with attacks and parries. Through their battle they relived every fight they've ever had, either against each other or with each other.

* * * * *

Shampoo remembered her first meeting with Ranma at the village and her subsequent meetings with him while chasing him all through China. When Shampoo was first defeated by boy-type Ranma, a feeling a happiness overwhelmed her. Being the best in the village meant a very lonely life for her. She hadn't known when she had fallen in love with Ranma. She just knew that even when she believed him to be a girl, her heart still ached for him. She had believed Ranma cared for her when he saved her from the Ghost Cat and helped her against Pink and Link. True, he had saved Akane many times before, but he had never been afraid of his adversary. She told herself, that Ranma loved her best because he had gone through his worst nightmare by fighting with the Ghost Cat. Now, looking back on it, Shampoo couldn't help but think it had all been a matter of pride that Ranma helped her.

* * * * *

Ranma also remembered his encounters with Shampoo. She had been so cute when they met as boy and girl. When she left him for the first time, he was sorely tempted to go after her. She and Ukyo had been the only other people that wanted to be friends with him since his infamous first meeting with Akane as a girl. Akane and others thought of Shampoo as a bimbo, but he knew better. It took him a while to realize that Shampoo acted the same way he did when he pretended to be a girl. He and her didn't grow up like your average child and probably had the same stereotypical views on what a Japanese girl behaved like. At times, he felt close to Shampoo due to a mutual childhood life. Funny, it took a battle between friends for him to understand certain things in life. He laughed at himself bitterly.

* * * * *

They both stopped the fight to rest a bit. They briefly smiled at each other. Both had yet to land a blow on the other. Suddenly, the hairs on the back of Ranma's neck stood up. Danger. True to his fear, a horde of cats came converging onto the log arena. Just the sight of the hundreds of cats caused Ranma to black out.

Shampoo watched as Nabiki led a few hundred cats in her direction and then just as quickly led them away. She quickly understood and both hope and fear raised in her heart. She slowly glanced towards Ranma and gasped. He was standing on all fours, meowing. Ranma-neko's eyes were caught by Shampoo's own. Shampoo got ready for anything that might happen now. Ranma-neko arched his back and leapt at her. He was too fast for her when he used his nekoken, so Shampoo decided to be prepared for the worst.

She was slammed backwards as Ranma landed on her. She closed her eyes fearing Ranma's next attack. It came. Ranma licked her eyelids and her face. Shampoo opened her eyes to see Ranma-neko's worried face as he purred against her. Something clicked in her own mind and she too passed out.

* * * * *

"Hey! I don't think that was quite what was supposed to happen."

Ryoga said as the understatement of the year. Ranma-neko and Shampoo-neko (in mind only) were now playing cat tag. They frolicked around and soon tumbled against each other with their limbs wrapped around the other. Akane, Ukyo, and Mousse were glowing blue as they punted Ranma-neko into LEO.

Cologne suddenly appeared from behind them and cackled gleefully,

"When son-in-law comes to, tell him he is re-married to my Shampoo. He has defeated her utterly and totally."

* * * * *

Nodoka and Cologne are sipping tea at the Nekohanten.

"So, you risked everything to get Ranma in the same situation that he was in before. He still has three fianc�es and a load of enemies."

Nodoka looked at Cologne sternly.

"True, Ranma had three fianc�es before this mess. But do you think he ever did consider Shampoo to be his betrothed? No, I thought not. At least now, Ranma knows Shampoo is a good match for him. This will make his decision all the harder in the future, but I think he's up to the challenge." They stare at each other for a while, before they both relent. Sounds of a mob could be heard outside. They both laugh as they see Ranma running away from the usual mob of people. The usual mob, except one that was. Shampoo had a tear in her eye as she looked at Ranma behind the counter,

"Wode airen, Wo ai ni."

* * * * *

Part 3

Nodoka worked in the kitchen with Kasumi as she watched Ranma and Akane go off to school. Ranma and Akane were arguing again. She sighed.

"What's wrong Auntie Saotome? Are you worried about Ranma again? Everything will turn out fine in the end." Kasumi smiled at her reassuringly.

"I'm afraid that you will be wrong. I don't think everything will turn out okay. With that stunt Cologne pulled, Ranma's decision will be even harder. When he does make a choice it will cause the girls, especially Shampoo greater anguish."

Kasumi was surprised.

"So, I guess you already know who Ranma will probably eventually choose."

"Though, I've only been reunited with Ranma a short time, I am his mother. I can see who is closest to his heart at the moment. But with every passing day, I can see that it is more and more likely that their relationship might break. I know you do not agree. It is true Ranma is loyal and does care for Akane, but even that is not enough to stop him from falling out of love. His other two fianc�es constantly give him love and devotion. If Akane does not do anything now, she may lose Ranma in the long run."

"Yes, I believe Akane is taking Ranma for granted. Like Ranma, she is very stubborn and does not show her feelings very well. However, every effort to push them together has failed. What can we do to help them?"

"Well, how about I try to get Akane to express her feelings about Ranma? I could hold a slumber party with Ranma's other fianc�es, except for that Kodatchi girl. She scares me. Ukyo and Shampoo should be enough for our plan. With the others expressing their love to Ranma, Akane will be forced to say something. And if things don't work out, I can still use this opportunity to get to know my other prospective in-laws."

Kasumi smiled at this.

"It just might work. I'll help you set up for the night."

* * * * *

Shampoo was overjoyed at the thought of a chance to get to know Ranma's mother better. She quickly accepted the invitation and got ready for the night, while Cologne talked with Nodoka.

"So, I hear you have stopped construction on your old house."

"Yes, I have. Ranma is already behind others in school. I do not want him to have to go to another school and start over. I've decided to stay in Nerima for awhile."

"Well, I own some buildings all around Nerima. I could rent a house out to you, if you like."

"I don't know. My husband and son both love the dojo, I don't know if they would be happy to leave it."

"You do not have to answer my proposal right away. You can go home and reconsider it. Before you leave, I would have you consider the unfair advantage you are giving Akane by staying at the dojo."

Nodoka was shaken by what Cologne has said. Nodoka left the Nekohanten think of Cologne's statement. Was she playing favorites by helping Akane? She would like to think every girl had a fair chance with her son. If it were possible, she would like Ranma to marry them all. And why not? Her son was certainly manly enough to handle so many girls.

* * * * *

Soun, Genma, and Ranma were packed to go on their training trip as the girls arrived for their slumber party. Nodoka was surprised as she watched the interaction between Ranma and Shampoo. To the casual observer, it looked no different from all the other times Shampoo had glomped onto Ranma. There was a difference however. Ranma didn't try as hard to free himself from Shampoo as he normally did. Shampoo held on to Ranma even harder as if she were scared that she would lose him again. It seemed their fights together this past week had left an even greater impact than was thought of before. Nodoka sighed as Akane punted Ranma into LEO. That girl has got to learn how to control her temper if she ever wants to marry Ranma.

* * * * *

Nodoka rubbed her temples, as she heard the girl's relate their initial and subsequent encounters with Ranma. She had a headache. It amazed her to no end that Ranma was able to inspire such devotion. Her son seemed to do the right thing at the right times when it came to girls. He seemed to do the wrong thing at the wrong time when it came to boys and Akane. Now that she had gotten acquainted with everybody, it was time for the object of the party this evening.

"Well, now I'd like to ask each of you what you think of Ranma. How about you start first Kasumi?"

"Ranma is a sweet boy, though he does lack delicacy in certain matters."

Kasumi said as she thought a bit.

Nabiki's turn was next.

"Ranma? I think he's like other jocks. All brawn and no brain."

She smirked as she saw outrage on the faces of Ukyo and Shampoo.

Nodoka didn't know what to make of this. It was obvious Nabiki said that for just pure shock value. What did the middle Tendo sister really think of Ranma? Her thoughts were cut off as Akane began her rant. Oh no! She wanted her to state her opinion after Ukyo or Shampoo.

"He's a pervert. He's an insensitive jerk. Nabiki was right, he is a stupid jock."

Ukyo and Shampoo immediately heft their weapons and advance towards Akane. What was it with these girls and violence, Nodoka thought to herself.

Ukyo looked at Akane with scorn. "You obviously don't know Ranchan very well. He's a kind, honorable, and loyal man." Shampoo nodded in agreement.

"Kind, honorable, and loyal? Hah! If he had any of those qualities, would he chase after others so many times? Remember when he thought Tsubasa was a girl or when Shampoo used the reversal jewel or countless other times. I've caught him peeping quite a few times."

Nodoka looked at Akane with apprehension. The girl had to get rid of her preconceived notion of Ranma's personality. She had heard from Ranma how Akane came to believe him to be a pervert. However, she was secretly happy at hearing her son's manly behavior despite Ranma telling her is wasn't true.

Shampoo scoffed at Akane.

"Akane should know by now that Ranma pride come before everything. Ranma no pervert. When Ranma chase other girl type, Ranma no touch them. Not even touch Shampoo that time."

The last sentence Shampoo said quietly, but not quiet enough to prevent anyone from hearing. All is silent, even Akane, as they think to themselves.

Akane recovered as she continued.

"You know what? All of those qualities can be found in Mousse too. Why don't you leave Ranma alone and give someone who is obviously in love with you a chance?"

Ukyo also looked at Shampoo.

"Yeah! I mean you treat him like dirt yet he still stays with you. Talk about loyalty. Besides, there were times I saw you actually treat him nicely. You can't really hate him that much."

She and Akane looked at Shampoo in askance.

Shampoo smiled sadly at them.

"Akane and Ukyo want to know why? Let Shampoo ask question. Konatsu and Tsubasa love Ukyo. Why Ukyo no give chance? Kirin, Toma, Shinnosuke, Ryoga, and many men love Akane. Why Akane no give chance? It true Shampoo show affection for Mousse, but that because Mousse be with Shampoo since three years old. Shampoo not lead Mousse on by being nice, like Ukyo and Akane do with other boys. Shampoo want to spare Mousse's feelings, so Shampoo treat Mousse very badly. Shampoo no deserve to settle for second best choice. Mousse no deserve to be second best choice. Mousse deserve a girl who make Mousse first choice."

Everyone is dumbfounded by what Shampoo has said.

"Wait a minute! Why did you say Ryoga? He's not in love with..."

Akane stopped as she saw everyone stare at her incredulously. Akane was thinking. It was true had treated Kirin, Toma, and Shinnosuke nicely. She also sometimes used Ryoga to get at Ranma. Had she led them all on?

Ukyo was also thinking. Though to others it looked like she treated Konatsu badly, she knew Konatsu thought she treated him very well. Had she led him on by allowing him to think that way?

Akane countered Shampoo with another thought.

"Well, don't you think Ranma should get a choice too? Why do you always trick him to go on dates and use love potions on him?"

Shampoo fought back her tears as she answered Akane's question.

"If Ranma had choice, Ranma will not choose Shampoo. Shampoo scared to lose Ranma. Ranma is Shampoo's life. Will tell Akane something now, if Ranma not choose Shampoo, Shampoo will still not leave. Shampoo will stay with Ranma until day die even if Ranma marry another."

Ukyo gave Shampoo a hard look. Ukyo's face softened as she looked at Akane.

"If Ranchan doesn't choose me, I won't leave also. I will also stay with him till the day I die. I love him too much."

Akane stared at the two stubborn girls in front of her. They loved Ranma that much? Almost as much as she did, the thought struck Akane. Slowly, Akane reluctantly agreed.

"That goes for me too. I will probably follow after him if he leaves me for either of you or anyone else. That jerk."

For the first time today, she admitted her true feelings.

Nodoka, Kasumi, and Nabiki were shocked tremendously as they heard this vow between the girls. Ranma was a lucky man to have three girls so devoted to him.

* * * * *

Nodoka decided it was time the party drew to a close and got everyone ready for bed. Nodoka sat with Nabiki, amazingly enough, sipping tea as everyone else slept. It looked like Nabiki did care for the welfare of her sister after all. Nodoka silently thought about what Cologne had said earlier and of each of the fianc�es. The more she thought about it, the more she had to agree with Cologne. Each girl deserved a fair chance with Ranma. She doubted each of them realized how similar they all were. They all grew up without a mother. They were all tomboyish in personality when Ranma was not around. They were interested in the martial arts and Ranma, of course. The fact that they probably would have been best of friends if not for her son, saddened her.

Nabiki looked at her with an experience eye.

"You've made a decision, haven't you?"

It was a statement more than a question.

"Yes, I have. I decided to accept Cologne's offer and move out of the dojo. I like each girl too much to allow any of them an advantage."

"I don't really see it as an advantage. I mean, Akane is not as good as the other girls at anything feminine, so she needs something to keep up with them."

Nabiki knew how lame this sounded, even to her.

"You and I both know, Ranma does not care for these things. If he did, he would have chosen someone like Kasumi and dumped Akane a long time ago. Akane did have the advantage of being with Ranma everyday. I've also decided to make all the engagements officially valid. But it the end, it will be Ranma's decision. Who ever wants to marry my son will have to woo him. This experience could help Akane to open up more. It is said, separation makes the heart grow fonder."

Nabiki laughed at the idea of a girl wooing a boy. Her face turned thoughtful as she thought of Akane.

"Let's hope you are right, Auntie Saotome. Auntie, don't you think that it's a man's job to do the wooing."

Nodoka shared a laugh with Nabiki at that jibe.

* * * * *

Part 4

Ranma slowly looked at his room for the last time. He had lived in this dojo for over a year now. This was the only time he had stayed in one place for this long since he left his mother at age five. He couldn't help but feel sad at leaving the only place he had ever called home. Footsteps could be heard outside his door. It was Akane, he recognized the shuffling feet sounds. It was amazing someone so clumsy and loud could be so good at martial arts.

"What is it Akane?"

He did not turn to look at her. He did not want her to see his face barely holding back tears.

Akane shuffled her feet. It had been a bad day. Auntie Saotome had told each of Ranma's fianc�es that she was going to accept all of their engagements. This did not sit well with her father. He complained that Akane was the only valid fianc�e because they were engaged the first. However, Auntie Saotome would not budge. She said that as Ranma's mother she had the right, since she had not been consulted on any of the engagements. So now, everyone's engagement had equal standing. If anyone wanted to marry him, they would have to court him. Akane and the girls just stared incredulously at her. A girl court a boy?! She then announced every girl will get a fair chance, as she and her family will move out of the Tendo dojo. After that statement, Akane just sank to her knees in despair as her father cried and went on and on about the union of Anything Goes. Looking at Ranma now, Akane felt she should say something, anything, to get him to stay.

"What do you want Akane."

Ranma was getting impatient with waiting. He had cleared his eyes and now looked at her. Seeing her not responding, Ranma decided to take to first step.

"Look, it's not like we won't be seeing each other again. I'll see you everyday at school."

"Yeah. I guess I'll see you there."

There was another long silence after that.

"Well, I guess I'll be seeing ya."

With that, Ranma left Akane to be alone in the room.

Idiot. Idiotic jerk, she thought to herself. She didn't know if she was saying that to Ranma or to herself.

* * * * *

Ukyo sat alone in her restaurant thinking. She looked out of her window to see Ranma and his family going towards their new home. The only thing that held her here was her engagement to Ranma. With that made valid by Ranma's mother, she felt her tie with Ranma strengthen.

* * * * *

Shampoo didn't know what to feel. She knew nobody had ever paid any thought to her engagement to Ranma. They didn't think she had a legitimate claim to him. Now Ranma's mother gave her some hope to rely on. However, with all the engagements being valid, Shampoo felt she now had a chance. Everyone had to start over from the beginning. Life was essentially a clean slate now.

* * * * *

Ranma and his father woke up for their usual sparring session. The backyard was much like the one at the Tendo dojo. It even had a koi pond, which Genma promptly found out as he was dumped into it. He grumbled at his son as Ranma dodged out of the way of the pail of water. Inwardly, Genma was happy. Ranma had improved so much since the fights with Shampoo. Even with his intimate knowledge of Ranma's fighting skills, he found it hard to keep up with him. Ranma was also a little bit more humble now. Usually by now, Ranma would tease him about his sloppy form. Now, all he got was that inane grin of his son. He felt it wouldn't be long before Ranma took on the mantle as the Anything Goes School Master. His thoughts soured as he thought of the union between the two schools of Anything Goes. Though he was silently glad Nodoka had helped him clean up his mess, he couldn't help but feel she had also doomed the union. Sighing he got up and got ready to get his job back from Dr. Tofu.

* * * * *

Nodoka watched outside as Ranma met up the Tendo sisters for school. Shampoo and Ukyo had come at that moment and immediately began vying for Ranma. Akane then punted Ranma, which the other two girls took exception to. They all started to circle each other before Nabiki pulled Akane away. Nabiki, Akane, and Ukyo then walked towards school. Nokoka was surprised as she saw Shampoo look at them go with an expression of longing. That's right, Shampoo doesn't go to school. The poor girl must be so lonely with no one to be with all day. No wonder she's always so happy to see Ranma. Outside of Mousse, he must be the only one she could call friend in Nerima. She was going to put a stop to that. She walked to Nekohanten to talk to Cologne.

* * * * *

"So, you see Cologne, I think Shampoo should go to school. If you want her to be your successor, don't you want an educated successor? I can help you at the restaurant while she is gone during the day, as I have nothing better to do."

Cologne thought of this development. This was one way of getting Ranma and Shampoo closer together. She hadn't enrolled Shampoo before because she didn't think Shampoo was very much interested in school. However, if Nodoka was right about Shampoo being lonely, Shampoo shall go to school. Though she was sometimes hard on Shampoo, she really did care for her. She wanted what was best for her great-granddaughter. She gave Nodoka a genuine smile.

"Yes, I think that is a good idea. Tomorrow, Shampoo will start going to school."

* * * * *

Shampoo looked towards her possible future mother-in-law in apprehension. Nodoka had dragged Shampoo along to go shopping for school clothes.

"Auntie Saotome, why can't Shampoo just go to school wearing normal clothes. Ranma and Ukyo do."

"Shampoo-chan, what you usually wear isn't decent to begin with. While your amazon clothing might be good in a fight, they aren't very good at concealing your assets. I know Ranma is too dense to notice your body sometimes, but the other boys at school aren't. Girls don't make friends very well if they think you're trying to steal their boyfriends."

So Shampoo suffered under the hands of Nodoka as she was forced to try on various clothes. Despite her glum dismeanor, Shampoo couldn't help but feel happy with someone to fuss over her.

"I also want to talk to you about the way you act Shampoo. It's not decent to glomp onto a boy in public. And I think you should stop sneaking into Ranma's bedroom at night. While I know my son's manliness can affect a girl like that some times, it isn't fair to the others."

Shampoo froze. Ranma's mother knew?

* * * * *

The next day was a surprise for Ranma. His mother told him that he would be taking a new student to school. His jaw nearly became dislocated as he stared open mouthed at the girl in a school uniform hanging onto his arm.

"Shampoo, is that you?" He almost couldn't recognize her without her wearing skintight clothing. She now looked decent, definitely cuter, instead of her normal sexy look.

Nodoka coughed.

"Shampoo, what did I say about the way a decent girl acts."

She smiled as Shampoo reluctantly let go of Ranma's arm. It really wasn't fair to the other girls. Ranma only had two arms to grab onto. Three girls and two arms didn't work out mathematically.

Ranma stared again. What did his mother do to Shampoo? How did she turn Shampoo in to this demure creature? As he and Shampoo rounded the corner of the block, she immediately glomped on to him again. So, it was all an act to please mother, he thought to himself. Ranma was relieved, though a part of him was disappointed. He liked the cute Shampoo image much better. His mood dropped as he thought of how Akane and Ukyo would react to this.

Ranma got his answer as the Tendo sisters and Ukyo stared at Shampoo and him. They must really be surprised as they forgot to hit him. He thought too soon as his other two suitors recovered and punted him in to LEO.

* * * * *

Akane couldn't help but be jealous as she looked at Shampoo. Somehow, the girl had gotten even cuter. She sighed as she saw Ranma disappearing in to the distance. She wanted to be like Shampoo and Ukyo and glomp on to Ranma, never letting go, whenever she saw him. Her pride wouldn't let her. Looking at Shampoo again, Akane thought, to hell with dignity. If Shampoo, an amazon, can put aside her pride to chase after Ranma, she could too. She smiled as she thought of the surprise that Ranma would have the next morning.

* * * * *

When they got to school, Miss Hinako had told Akane and Ukyo to show Shampoo around, since they seemed to be her friends. True to form, every guy in the school began to hit on her. However, when she didn't show any interest in them and was able to pound that fact in to them, they quickly gave her space. After that, the other girls in class slowly approached her and Shampoo started to make some friends. Shampoo was happier than she had ever been for a long time.

The next class was gym class. They were to play soccer today. Shampoo, Akane, and Ukyo were all in the same team. They had an unspoken agreement to tone down a little bit on their skills, as they were so much better than the other girls were. Shampoo was exhilarated. Never had she ever had so much fun. She smiled at Akane and Ukyo as she scored to a goal from their two-way pass to her. They both smiled back. The girls quickly caught themselves and glared at each other, or at least tried to. Shampoo lost her glare as she laughed. The expressions on their faces were just too funny. Akane and Ukyo both joined in.

* * * * *

Ranma, as usual, sat with Daisuke and Hiroshi as they watched the girls playing. Every once and a while Ranma's two friends would whistle at them. They both stared in awe as Shampoo scored a goal.

"Boy that Shampoo is such a babe."

Daisuke stared at her breathlessly.

"So Ranma, have you with her yet?"

Hiroshi asked conspiratorially as he nudged Ranma.

"I mean you must have with Akane and Ukyo already. I heard Ukyo has been with you for awhile. I bet you've them all at once."

"What with Shampoo? Are you crazy? She's just a friend. I don't even see her in that way..."

Ranma stopped as he saw his friends were ignoring him. They were staring at Shampoo who had just jumped to head butt the ball. Her school uniform flipped enticingly up at the motion. <insert gratuitous belly button shot>

Unfortunately, Akane happened to see Ranma staring. The soccer ball was immediately imbedded into Ranma's face.

* * * * *

Since Akane was still mad at Ranma and Ukyo had to mind her store, Shampoo was the one who brought him to see Dr. Tofu and then home. Ranma was trying hard not to notice how close his arm was to a certain part of Shampoo's anatomy as he leaned on Shampoo for support. He forced his mind to think of other things. He thought about Shampoo in the classroom surrounded by girls. He blushed as he remembered hearing his name mentioned a few times followed by giggles. He can't remember a girlish giggle ever coming from Shampoo. She looked cute when she was smiling and not glomping on to him all the time. He quickly looked all around him, scared of his thoughts being heard and Akane pounding him. As Ranma's luck would have it, Shampoo also turned her head towards him at that moment. Their lips met.

* * * * *

Part 5

"Ranma idiot! Jerk!"

Shampoo muttered as she wiped down the tables at the Nekohanten. Why did he have to do that? When she felt his lips upon hers, to say that she was happy was an understatement. Ranma then had to go and ruin it. She frowned at the memory. He tried to explain to her how it was all an accident. For a full ten minutes she stood there listening to him stutter. Then to make sure he got his point through to her. He showed her on various diagrams, he seemingly pulled out of nowhere, how it had all been circumstance. By this time Shampoo had had enough. When she left him, Ranma was a quivering mass of bloody flesh on the ground. Well at least she could use what happened to her advantage. Ranma would not want Akane or Ukyo to know that he had kissed her, whether by accident or not. As always she felt a twinge of guilt about blackmailing Ranma, but she quickly brushed that feeling aside. Ranma WILL take her on a date. <insert obviously fake, evil laughter>

Nodoka looked at Shampoo with confusion. What had her son done now? It seemed he was always at the heart of everything that went wrong in Nerima. Shampoo had been in such a good mood for her first day of school. At the sound of Shampoo's obviously fake, evil laughter, Nodoka felt sorry for what Ranma had in store for him.

* * * * *

Ranma was surprised as he met up the girls for their walk towards school. They were actually all being civil to each other. Meaning they didn't erupt into an all out brawl when they met. Ukyo immediately glomped onto one of his arms. Shampoo didn't even look at him, much less glomp onto him when she saw him. She must have been still mad at him. His other arm felt empty without her. He almost fainted when he felt Akane tentatively grabbed his arm. Akane then stuck her tongue out at Shampoo.

Somehow he felt guilty and cringed when he saw Shampoo's furious expression. He shuddered as he saw her give him a Nabiki-like smirk.

Shampoo pulled a microphone out of nowhere and pointed to him. Her voice was amplified so that it seemed everyone in Nerima could hear.

"Ranma remember walk home last night? It beautiful night. Shampoo remembers clearly. Ranma give Shampoo a good night ki..."

Ranma had shrugged off Akane and Ukyo and quickly clamped Shampoo's mouth shut.

"Okay Shampoo, what do you want?"

Although he knew Shampoo didn't have proof, he didn't believe his other suitors would mind beating him up anyway.

"Ranma take Shampoo on date, yes?"

Shampoo grinned at him.

"Uh... okay."

He didn't realize, of course, that this turn of events would also earn him a beating from the aforementioned girls.

Pulling Ranma from the ground, Ukyo growled sweetly at him.

"Ranchan, you're going to take me out on a date too."

Not wanting to be left out, Akane also got him to agree to a date. Not wanting to feel the girls wrath's again he quickly agreed to all their demands. He would take Akane out this evening. Tomorrow, Saturday, would be Ukyo's turn and Shampoo's on Sunday. Ranma looked towards the heavens in askance. Nothing else can go wrong, could it? Thunder could be heard as if in response to Ranma's silent question.

* * * * *

Ranma's date with Akane went rather smoothly. Smoothly, that is, if you would say having Kuno and Ryoga chasing after you half the night smoothly. Akane felt it was a pretty nice date other than those minor instances. She smiled as she thought of her bold kiss with Ranma at the end of the date. She went to sleep happily dreaming of Ranma.

Ranma was thinking of the date as he walked home. Akane again surprised him as she gave him a good night kiss on the cheek after they spent thirty minutes at the door waiting for Ranma to do it. Ranma had been with Akane on dates before, forced or otherwise. Other than the kiss or his fight with Kuno and Ryoga, Ranma had not been very interested in the date. The only thing he had any interest in was his martial art and food. Ranma turned his thoughts on Akane and the kiss. He felt guilty as his mind compared Akane's kiss to Shampoo's.

* * * * *

Ukyo watched happily as Ranma went home. She had been in constant delirium the whole day. The whole date was perfect in her mind. She replayed the kiss she gave Ranma. The kiss was a rather passionate one with a little bit of tongue. She went to sleep dreaming of Ranma.

Ranma again walked home as he silently thought of his date. There was nothing special about it. It was like two buddies horsing around and wasting a day together. Also, Ukyo tended to daydream a lot. However, those kisses at the end made him think that maybe Ukyo didn't see the date the same way he did. He groaned in frustration.

* * * * *

Shampoo sat at the Nekohanten waiting for Ranma. With each passing minute, her doubt about Ranma showing up grew. Shampoo had heard about Ranma's other dates. It seemed that she probably couldn't blackmail him about the kiss anymore, as the Ranma and the other girls kissed after their dates. This was the first time she didn't have anything to hold Ranma to their date. Surprisingly Ranma came anyway.

"Hey! I always keep my promises."

Ranma grinned at her. He then grabbed her arm and took her outside.

"There. I took you out already, so I've kept my promise. Bye now."

Shampoo was angry.

"Come back here Ranma! We not done yet."

She then gave chase.

Nodoka looked on as the whole event unfolded. She would not wish anyone to be her son, when Shampoo caught up with Ranma. She saw Mousse also leave out from the corner of her eye. Now whatever Ranma got, he had coming.

* * * * *

Shampoo eventually caught up with Ranma. After a few beatings he agreed to the date. They felt awkward towards each other as they walked side by side. Since there was no prize involved, this was their first date together where one didn't have to trick the other to get what they wanted. They just walked around in silence, not knowing what to do. That was when Mousse came along and attacked Ranma for defiling Shampoo. Shampoo interfered and punted him into LEO.

Ranma was annoyed.

"What did you do that for? I wanted to beat him off."

Shampoo was also getting annoyed. Ranma and his ego again. Shampoo went into ultra cute mode.

"Shampoo sorry. Please forgive Shampoo."

Her tone of voice was dripping with enough sweetness to cause a cavity.

True to form, this flustered Ranma and Shampoo took the opportunity to teach him a lesson. Somehow, this escalated into another fight between them. However, both of them weren't very serious. To her amazement Ranma was actually laughing with her as they fought. By the time they got home, Shampoo was a mess. She didn't want to kiss Ranma looking like she crawled out of a garbage dump. Ranma had then, quite automatically, kissed her on the cheek and left. Shampoo stood still standing at the door holding her cheek.

Ranma was an emotional wreck by the time he got home. Why did he do that? He had slowly gotten use to the idea of being kissed after a date. When he didn't get a kiss, his body acted for him. However, he didn't believe in his own reasoning. It was just that this date had been so different. He remembered the tricks he and Shampoo used to pull on each other during their first date so long ago. He never blamed her as he also used dirty tricks against her to get the instant nannichun powder. Heck, he was even using a few dirty tricks during their mock fight today. Besides, Shampoo look quite cute with her hair mussed up and with some smudges on her cheeks.

* * * * *

The next day's walk to school was filled with tension. None of the girls looked at each other. Nabiki smirked. She loved excitement.

"So Ukyo how did your date go with Ranma?"

Ukyo smiled at the memory and started to daydream of Ranma holding her for a passionate kiss. Though she didn't say anything about the date, the expression on her face was clear enough to anyone that wasn't blind. Dark auras formed around Akane and Shampoo.

"Hey! I bet my date with Ranma was even better than your date."

Akane glowered at Ukyo.

Ukyo giggled at her.

"What? You mean you didn't try to cook for him or hit him."

Shampoo also giggled at this.

Oblivious to Akane's anger, Ranma added his own quip.

"How did you ever guess Uuchan?"

This of course earned him a familiar greeting from one large mallet.

The walked the rest of the way to school in relative peace. Ranma felt this was just the calm before the storm. Kuno, Ryoga, and Mousse were all there to greet Ranma as they reached the gate to the school. Apparently, they did not like the idea of Ranma going on so many dates with different girls. After somehow managing to survive the onslaught, Ranma stared in fear as every girl in school asking about the dates crowded his suitors. They then began to tell everyone how their dates went. The stories were all blown out of proportion. They ranged from a modified version of Snow White and Cinderella to something a little X-rated (told by Shampoo). Each telling resulted in a punch or kick thrown in Ranma's direction by the other two fianc�es of course.

* * * * *

Ranma was lying in a full body cast at Dr. Tofu's clinic. Akane, Ukyo, and Shampoo all sat together caring for Ranma. This truce could only last so long. Ranma cowered at the battle auras around each girl as they fought to see who would feed him. His enemies all stared at him with hatred. Mr. Tendo was crying at his possible son-in-law's supposed adultery. His father was in panda form rolling around with a tire. His mother was smiling at his manliness. Ranma look through the window to look again at the heavens in askance. Please, nothing else could go wrong. The heavens thundered again as if responding to his plea.

* * * * *

Part 6

Shampoo eyes danced as she looked excitedly at the book before her. She had just found the spell that would help her get Ranma. It was a spell version of the reversal jewel that lasted for a few hours. If she were to use this on Ranma, he would hate Akane and Ukyo and try to hurt them. After the affects wore off, she would appear and would be the only suitor left. In effect, Ranma would be hers. She smiled gleefully as she prepared the ingredients.

* * * * *

A cry of utter anguish could be heard within the Nekohanten. Cologne could only watch as her great-granddaughter beat herself over the day's past events. Shampoo's fists were raw with blood as she continued to pound on the unyielding floor. Cologne could not stand to see Shampoo in pain much longer. With her staff, she hit a shiatsu point on Shampoo, knocking her out. Cologne sighed as she pieced together what had happened today from what she had learned from the others.

* * * * *

**flashback**

Shampoo's plan had started out perfectly. Ranma and the girls had met as usual for school. She had then given Ranma the ramen laced with reversal potion and quickly leapt out of the way. Ranma had then started to look at Akane and Ukyo with a glare. Ranma just ignored them, instead of attacking them like Shampoo had predicted. It had then dawned on Shampoo an aspect of Ranma's personality. Even if Ranma did hate a person, he wouldn't attack him or her outright for no reason at all. Also, no matter what state he was in, he just wouldn't hurt a girl. When Akane and Ukyo tried to get near him, he would just jump out of the way. The girls had then noticed that Shampoo had left after feeding Ranma. They quickly understood the connection between Ranma's behavior and Shampoo's disappearance and teamed up to find her.

Meanwhile, after school, Ranma had met up with Kuno, Ryoga, and Mousse. Ranma had grinned at them and was not at all serious when they attacked him. Ranma just dodged all of their attacks until the three tired of attacking nothing but air. He smiled at them again and thanked them for the sparring practice. When he reached the Nekohanten on his way home, his face contorted to one of intense hatred. He had seen his mother. Shampoo had forgotten about the one person that Ranma loved the most in the whole world. When Auntie Saotome saw him and tried to hug him, Ranma thought she was attacking him. Shampoo, who saw all of this from her hiding place, quickly stepped in the way of Ranma's retaliation. Fortunately, the effects wore off just before Ranma's hand reached Shampoo's throat. Ranma remembered everything that happened when he was under the influence of the spell. He looked at his hands in shock. He had almost attacked his own mother. Barely containing his seething anger, he told Shampoo to leave before he lost control.

Shampoo ran crying and stumbling into the restaurant. Shampoo's last words to Ranma were

"Bie liao."

She did not think that Ranma would ever see her again.

**end flashback**

* * * * *

Cologne prayed Ranma would forgive Shampoo. She feared what her great-granddaughter would do if she lost the person she loved. With determination, she went to get Nodoka and Ranma to speak with Shampoo.

* * * * *

Nodoka's heart cried out to the sleeping girl before her. Shampoo's eyes were all puffy from hours of crying. Her hands, though bandaged, were red with blood. In all, she looked like she went to hell and back. Carefully she cradled Shampoo's head in her arms and gently woke her.

"Shampoo! No, don't start crying again. I know you didn't mean for that incident to happen. We just came to say we forgive you. Isn't that right Ranma?"

Ranma was never one to hold a grudge for long. And seeing a girl in such a state because of him made him just want to find the nearest hole and hide.

"Yeah, that's right. I know you didn't want me to hurt my mother. Besides, you tried to block her body with yours."

Seeing Shampoo's eyes well up with tears again, Ranma excused himself and left the hurting girl. He just couldn't stand to see a girl cry.

Shampoo watched Ranma leave in sadness.

"Shampoo so sorry, Auntie Saotome. Now, Ranma hate Shampoo. Shampoo no life now."

She cried into Nodoka's arms.

"No, Ranma doesn't hate you. He's just a little miffed at you, but that's all. I've heard from the others that you usually pull these stunts to try and get Ranma for yourself. You have to stop. Don't you want Ranma to be with you because he wants to, not because of some magical spell or artifact?"

"Shampoo know Ranma like Shampoo least out of girls. Shampoo try to kill girl-type Ranma and try to trick Ranma all the time. Ranma not want to be with Shampoo, so forced to use more tricks."

"How do you know? Have you tried to ask him nicely without glomping onto him and tricking him all the time? You might be surprised. Now, I want you to think about what I said tonight. Will you do that for me?"

Shampoo nodded as she looked at Nodoka with doubt in her eyes.

* * * * *

The next day, Ranma went to meet up with the girls as usual. Ukyo, as usual, glomped onto one arm. Akane again shyly held his other arm, usually reserved for Shampoo. Shampoo didn't even look at him. Anytime he tried to look at her she cringed. He mentally kicked himself. What had he done? His outburst had caused the usually lively amazon to become meek as a kitten. He shuddered. Bad choice of words.

Later that day, he walked home with Shampoo after school. She walked with her head down in front of him. Ranma had had enough. He was not going to let a perfectly good amazon waste away because of him. He remembered something Mousse had once told him. Amazon's were extremely petty and spiteful. If a wife (Ranma tried not to think of that term) was mad at her husband, she would do many annoying things to him for years to get revenge. He bet if he annoyed Shampoo enough, that pettiness would surface and bring her out of this funk. Having Shampoo angry at him would be much better than having her scared of him.

* * * * *

Shampoo's slowly lost her fear of Ranma, as she watched Ranma *accidentally* drop another bowl of ramen. Since he had reached the Nekohanten, he had supposedly cracked glasses, broken chairs and snapped chopsticks all accidentally. She was getting downright annoyed. She got out the broom again for the fifteenth time. Shampoo almost tripped as Ranma's leg suddenly jutted out from under the table. Something within Shampoo snapped. Shampoo pulled Ranma by the pigtail towards her and punted him into LEO.

"Ranma jerk!"

Seeing him fly away, Shampoo's mood again dampened.

"See, Auntie Saotome, Ranma hate Shampoo. Why else would Ranma do all these things?"

Nodoka and Cologne looked at each other. They both couldn't hold it any longer and laughed at Shampoo. Shampoo sometimes just didn't have a clue to how Ranma felt. Nodoka looked at Shampoo with affection.

"Ranma doesn't hate you. Unfortunately, my son is extremely naive and very predictable. One of the rules Ranma lives by is to never hurt a girl when he can help it. Seeing you like this must have forced him to use drastic measures. If anything, this proves he cares for you at least a little bit. You may not be as far off from Akane or Ukyo in his heart as you think."

Cologne nodded in agreement.

"I never thought I would ever see the day where one of Ranma's plans actually work."

She again cackled at the thought.

The last of Shampoo's doubt was removed at hearing this. She watched Ranma, who was now a mere twinkle in the sky, with hope in her eyes once more.

* * * * *

The following school day saw the return of Shampoo's enthusiasm. She grabbed Ranma's arm before Akane did and stuck out her tongue at glaring girl. The rest of day started and ended like it always did. Chaos everywhere. Everything was back to normal.

Ranma walked home with Shampoo hanging onto him as usual. He looked down to see her blissful face. Cute. Ranma's mind froze as Shampoo looked at him in adoration. Why did she have to do that? He hated when someone went all mushy on him. He usually tried to think of an insult to say in situations like these with Akane. But with Shampoo, it was different. He usually just tried to pry himself loose and ignore her, which he seemed to have a hard time doing now.

Shampoo felt nervous. She let go of his arm and looked at him. She had nothing to give to him or blackmail him by. This was the first time she did not know what Ranma's answer would be.

"Ranma, like to go and see movie with Shampoo on Saturday?"

"Uh... ah sure."

Ranma's mind froze again as he thought what he just said. Shampoo looked at him in shock and amazement. She looked at him lovingly and launched herself at his lips. Slowly, Ranma responded to the kiss with a kiss of his own. After a while she let go and bounced happily inside. Ranma just stood there and stared at Shampoo's retreating body. Akane and Ukyo were going to kill him. Of that fact he had no doubt. He briefly touched his lips. He couldn't help but think that the beating he was going to receive was well worth it. He walked home with a smile on his face.

Shampoo watched Ranma leave. She touched her lips. If just a little bit, Ranma had returned her kiss. This was the first time he had responded to her affections. The first of many times to come, she hoped. Her heart soared as her future seemed to brighten.

* * * * *

Part 7

Ranma caught his breath as he looked at Akane's sleeping face. She looked better when she wasn't angry all the time. He winced at the thought Akane's angry face. He guessed that part of the reason she was angry all the time was because of him. Too bad things couldn't have been better. It was too late to think of what might have been. Ranma looked Akane one last time before he slipped out of her window and onto his next destination. The only thing he left behind was a letter on Akane's desk.

* * * * *

Konatsu immediately awoke. His ninja training allowed the softest of sounds to become aware to him. Grabbing his weapons, he quickly searched for the source of the intrusion. He could hear sounds of the intruder leaving. That was quick. There was no way anything of value could be taken from Uuchan's within a few seconds. Looking out a window, Konatsu could see that the intruder was Ranma. Was probably looking for Ukyo to talk. Konatsu thought nothing more of the incident and went back to sleep.

* * * * *

Ranma scratched his head. Where was Shampoo? She wasn't in her bed. He was going to give his silent goodbye to her, just like he did with the others.

"Ranma."

Ranma froze at the sound of his name being whispered. It was Shampoo behind him.

"Shampoo! What are you doing up this late?"

Shampoo blushed.

"Shampoo wanted to go to Ranma's room tonight. Shampoo know that Ranma's mom don't like that, but Shampoo no can help it."

Shampoo gave him a sultry look. She then looked at him seriously.

"Saw Ranma leave house with backpack, so Shampoo follow."

Ranma sweated visibly.

"So you saw everything?"

"Yes. Why Ranma leave?"

Ranma sighed. He was going to leave a letter for Shampoo explaining his actions, but he might as well tell her now.

"Shampoo, when you get hurt, does your cat form get hurt too? And does your human form get hurt when your cat form gets hurt?"

Shampoo was startled at Ranma answering her question with a question of his own.

"Yes, of course."

"Aging of the body is really just the body wearing out or getting hurt very slowly. Would you say that a cat, a pig, or a duck, ages faster than a human? How much time over this year has you, Ryoga, or Mousse stayed in your animal forms?"

Gradually Shampoo began to see where this line of questioning was leading. All the jusenkyo cursed spent a lot of time in their cursed form. Shampoo often turned Mousse into a duck to quiet him when he got to rowdy. This happened a lot. Every time she went to the Tendo's to deliver ramen, she would see Ryoga and Genma in their animal forms. For some reason, Ryoga liked to be a pig and sleep in Akane's arms. Also, there tended to be a lot of freak rainstorms or broken water heaters in Nerima.

"Silly Ranma. Magic not work logically. If that true, Shampoo, Ryoga, and Mousse be year or two older than Ranma, Akane, and Ukyo."

Since they were all still at an age where they were still growing, it would be impossible to not notice any drastic change in age. As far as she could tell there were none.

Ranma looked at her bitterly.

"You're right magic doesn't work logically. A couple of days ago, Dr. Tofu visited me. He discovered that the springs of jusenkyo are very specific. If the name of the spring says young female, it means young female. I told him that my girl form has aged a bit since I got the curse. He told me that the word young is subject to interpretation. Young female could mean anywhere from a newborn baby to someone who has yet to reach thirty. And if I stay in my immortal form, my boy form will also stop aging until I turn back. I spend half my time as a girl, whether I like it or not. I will out live a lot of you."

Shampoo was shocked.

"But that can't be true. What about females from Herb's Musk Dynasty kingdom? They all come from nyannichaun? There are no hundreds of immortal females in the world?"

"I asked him about that. All of them were locked in their girl forms so they really don't have a 'cursed' form anymore. The magic of immortality just turns off until they get unlocked."

"So Ranma leave because he outlive everybody?"

"No, this just helped make my decision to leave easier. I was going to leave Nerima anyway."

"What!?"

"The fights I had with you made me realize how important my martial art is to me. Right now, I am the best in Nerima other than Cologne or Happosai. There is no challenge in any of my fights these days. If a martial artist does not continue to challenge himself, he will never be able reach an even greater height. In Nerima, I have to worry about everyday little things. Going to school, doing homework, and a sometime part-time job all prevent me from working at my martial art skills. Meanwhile, Ryoga is catching up to me like crazy. He trains full time and travels all over searching for techniques to defeat me. It won't be long before he surpasses me, if I don't improve faster."

Shampoo was panicking by now. She was trying to think of anything that would make Ranma stay.

"But what about Akane, don't you care about her?"

Shampoo couldn't believe she just said that. She finally admitted to herself that Ranma might care more for her rival than her.

To Shampoo's surprise, Ranma just sighed.

"Yes, I've thought about her. You're right, I do care for her a lot. But when it came down to her or my martial art, I chose the art. Why? Because, I could never live with my self if I did not achieve to be the best there is. Yes, I have risked my life many times to save Akane. I cannot live with the thought of her being kidnapped or dead. But, I can live with the fact that she still has me in her heart and has chosen another. I knew this was true when I thought she chose Shinnosuke over me. I had been willing to leave Akane then without even trying to win her back. As long as she is happy, I will be also. It will be easier on the both of us the faster I leave."

By now, Shampoo had made a decision of her own.

"Then Shampoo come along too. If Ranma try to stop Shampoo, Shampoo scream and tell everyone. Beside, Shampoo only female that can live almost as long as Ranma. Don't look surprised. Remember great-grandmother three hundred years old. Do Ranma think Shampoo can reach close to great-grandmother skill in martial art? Shampoo know the answer is yes. Great-grandmother live long because of martial art. Shampoo can keep Ranma company."

Ranma knew when he was beat.

"I know that I can't stop you. If you want to come along, you better come now."

Ranma could not describe the way he was feeling at the moment. It was contentment. Contentment at a decision that was finally behind him.

Shampoo quickly prepared for her departure. She wrote a small note for Cologne to find and then gathered a change of clothes for herself before she followed Ranma out into the night.

* * * * *

Ranma awoke to a beautiful morning. Shampoo was right. The amazon village did make for a wonderful place to train. Ranma quickly dressed and prepared for the day's training. Shampoo should be waking up by now. Their separate sleeping arrangement caused a small uproar in the village. The moment he went outside, his jaw dropped. Two new stores were having a grand opening outside. Uuchan's and the Tendo Dojo. Ukyo and Akane appeared as they walked out of their respective buildings. They gave each other a glare. It was then they noticed Ranma. Ranma received the beating of his life. After it was over, they each gave him a cute smile.

"Ranma, never leave me again!"

With that said Ukyo went back to her store.

"Really Ranma. Did you really think that I would care if you lived longer or that I wouldn't follow you where ever you go? Don't do that again."

Akane also went back to her building.

* * * * *

Shampoo meekly looked at Ranma.

"Sorry. Shampoo know that Ranma unhappy about leaving everybody behind, so Shampoo leave note. Ranma look so sad with only Shampoo to keep company."

Shampoo looked sad as she said this last part.

Ranma's ire completely melted away at Shampoo's saddened look.

"Don't worry Shampoo. I'm not mad anymore. You're right, I was a little homesick."

Ranma turned away from Shampoo. He hated saying anything that was intimate.

"Shampoo, I want you to know that I wasn't as unhappy as you thought I was. Actually, I don't think that I would mind staying with you for a few centuries."

Shampoo did not say anything. She walked up to Ranma and held him from behind. There were tears in her eyes. She was happy.

* * * * *

The End.

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1