|COWLEY quarter contains a number of scattered houses, and the hamlets of Coton, Befcott, and Plardiwick, extending from nearly one to two miles SW of Gnosall. The principle freeholders are Sir TFF Boughey, John Morris, Esq., Mrs Buckley, and the Earl of Lichfield; the latter of whom is lord of Plardiwick, which unites with High Onn, in Church Eaton parish, for the reparation of the highways, and is supposed to have once had a castellated mansion, though no traces of such a building now remain .
At Coton, there is an Independent Chapel, built in 1823; and a steam corn mill.
KNIGHTLEY, the northern quarter of this parish, is a large estate, all belonging to the Earl of Lichfield, and containing 15 farm houses, and several other scattered dwellings, from two to three miles N by W of Gnosall. The common was enclosed in 1806, and the old enclosures contain many excellent oaks.
In 1840 the Earl of Lichfield built here a neat Chapel of Ease, at eh cost of about £700; it is dedicated to Christ, and has 200 sittings, and the duty is performed by the incumbent of Gnosall and his curate.
Knightley National Schools, for about 130 children, were built by subscription in 1844, with a house for the master and mistress, at the cost of £500, on an acre of land given by the Earl of Lichfield.
|MORETON, the southern and largest quarter of this parish, includes the scattered hamlets of Coley, Bromstead, Wilbrighton, Outwoods, and Chatwell, extending from two to four miles SW of Gnosall, and bordering upon Shropshire. Chatwell, the most distant place, is said to derive its name from St Chad's Well, which was formerly in some repute. The principal landowners are Sir TFF Boughey and John Cotes, Esq.
Mr Henry Green has a large farm at Moreton, on which he has made great improvements by draining etc.
At Chatwell is a valuable bed of clay, and a stratum of limestone, worked by Mr Thomas Boultbee.
The commons were enclosed in 1793. The soil is well suited for turnips and barley.
The Ducie family were formerly seated here, and one of them, Mathew Ducie Moreton, was creatd Lord Ducie, Baron of Moreton, in 1720; but on the death of his successor, without issue, that title became extinct; but his second title of Baron Ducie of Tortworth, descended to his sister's son, Thos. Reynolds, whose descendant, the present Lord Ducie, has assumed the name of Moreton, though the family has long been seated at Tortworth, in Gloucestershire.
At Bromstead, is an Independent Chapel.
MORETON CHURCH (ST Mary), is a neat structure, in the Norman style, erected in 1838, at the cost of about £1000, raised by subscription and grants. It has 368 sittings, of which 271 are free. The land and stone were given by John Cotes Esq. of Woodcote, who also gave stone for the National School, built in 1846, with a house for the mistress, at the cost of about £450. The Parsonage House is a neat stone building, erected in 1839, by the late Bishop Butler, at the cost of about £1300, including the out offices. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the incumbent of Gnosall and the incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Burne, MA., who receives yearly £45 from the Bishop of Lichfield and about £20 from the parishioners.