Judith's Slave

Download as Microsoft Word Document


Until the very moment the huge wooden gates to her small town of Bethulia closed behind them, Hanla had doubted whether her mistress, the honorable and deeply religious widow Judith, were actually going to go through with her plan. But now the lady and her slave were making their way carefully through the warm night down the grassy mountainside. Hanla carried all they'd brought from their home: a large canvas sack of food � roasted barley and dried fig cakes, and loaves of bread baked in accordance with Jewish laws; a skin of wine, and a small jar of oil. Neither woman spoke as they descended the mountain. Only insects and their own cautious footsteps made any sound as they walked down into the valley below, toward the camp of the Assyrian army that had been holding Bethulia under siege for over a month.

Before they reached the camp, they were met by a large patrol of Assyrian soldiers. Hanla stared at their weapons: long, curved knives and swords that glistened in the moonlight. Her stomach iced over with fear at her first personal encounter with the enemy.

The Assyrian men stared at the two Israelite women. Hanla and Judith stared back. For a moment they considered each other. The first words spoken between them were by a man who must have been the patrol leader. He said, "I place you under arrest!"

Hanla turned to Judith, wondering if this were part of the plan, but Judith's face remained calm and set and she looked the patrol leader straight in the eyes. He actually took a tiny step back.

"Who are you?" the man asked in a snarling tone. "What is your nationality, where are you coming from, and where are you going?"

Before answering, Judith pulled the shawl she wore back from around her head, exposing her face to the men. Now the whole front row of them stepped back, stunned by her remarkable beauty. Her thick black hair made waves around her face, and her large mournful eyes nearly matched the night in depth and darkness. Her face was a perfect oval, her olive skin still young and smooth, with its first traces of wrinkles appearing only within the last few years. She was also wearing an elegant dress and all her finest jewelry. Hanla lowered her head and shrugged her shoulders, letting out more of the rough material of her own shawl, so that it almost covered her eyes. She bent her back some, to appear an old woman. She had to hide herself from these people, even more than she did from the people of her own town. Hanla was not nearly as beautiful as Judith, but being a slave, she would be subject to whatever rape or other sexual attentions the men could force on her. And if everything went according to plan, they would be staying in the camp for at least a few days.

Judith answered the soldier's questions in a calm voice. "I am a Jew, but I am running away from the Israelites because our God is going to let you destroy them. I have come here to see Holofernes, your widely acclaimed general, to give him some valuable tactical information. I know how this army can advance into the mountains and take control of this entire region, and all without a single casualty."

The soldiers all gaped at Judith � Hanla suspected more for her beauty than her words. Before the patrol leader could answer her a man to his left stepped forward and said in a shaky voice, "Brave lady, you have saved your life by coming to us. Some of our men will take you to the general's headquarters at once."

Another man added, "Do not be afraid of him. Just tell him exactly what you have told us. He will treat you well."

Finally the leader shook his head, as if shaking off a trance, and reasserted his authority over the other soldiers by assigning a hundred men to escort Judith and Hanla to Holofernes.

* * *

News of Judith's arrival spread quickly from tent to tent once the two Israelite women and the hundred soldiers entered the Assyrian camp. The men took Judith and Hanla to the tent of Holofernes, which was twice as large as any of the rest, and richly decorated. They stood outside it, waiting to be presented to the general, and many more Assyrian men gathered around to stare. Again Hanla thought it was more for Judith's beauty than for her strangeness. She heard fleeting comments in the crowd: "Who can hate such beautiful people?" and "We had better kill all the Jewish men fast, or their women will be able to charm the whole world!" Hanla loosened her shawl some more.

Some of Holofernes' bodyguards came out of the tent, followed closely by men dressed in servants' livery. They led Judith and Hanla inside. One of the servants caught Hanla's eyes past her shielding cloak, and she looked away quickly, her cheeks pinkening. The servant, a tall, handsome young man, looked away as well.

The men halted in the outer chamber of the tent. Weapons hung from the inside walls. Holofernes' servants went back into the inner chamber to announce the arrival of the two Israelite women. A few minutes later the general himself came to the outer part of the tent, where they were waiting. Two servants carried silver lamps ahead of him, and the warm light shone onto Judith's face, making her appear even more beautiful. Hanla heard several men gasp. Judith lowered her face out of the light and bowed down to the ground before the general, and five or six servants quickly moved in to help her back to her feet afterward. And the servant who'd caught her own eyes before stole another glance at Hanla.

Holofernes spoke. He said to Judith, "There is no reason to be afraid. I have never harmed anyone willing to serve my illustrious master Nebuchadnezzar, the king of the world. Of course, had your people up in the mountains not insulted me by refusing to surrender to me when I demanded it, I would not have declared war on them. Any insult to me is an attack on my master. They brought their trouble on themselves. I will treat you well, though. You may stay with us as long as you wish, beautiful lady, and no harm will befall you. So tell me why you have left your Jews and come instead to me."

All eyes focused on Judith, and Hanla admired the way she kept her voice steady as she answered. "I have come to speak to you, my lord, and please listen. If you follow my advice, God will be with you, and you will become famous and revered, a brilliant hero admired by all the world. You will not be able to fail. This is the truth � I swear it by the life of the great Nebuchadnezzar, king of the entire world, who sent you to bring order to the unruly subjects of his vast kingdom." Smart, Hanla thought. Swearing would make her words all the more believable, and of course an oath on the life of Nebuchadnezzar meant nothing at all to a faithful Jew.

"Because of you," Judith continued, "Nebuchadnezzar and his whole kingdom will prosper. Even living up in the mountains I've heard of your cleverness and skill. The entire world knows that you are the most powerful, competent, and accomplished general in all the Assyrian Empire..."

Judith went on flattering him awhile longer, and Hanla hoped she weren't overdoing it, but Holofernes seemed to enjoy it all. The young slave woman listened from behind her shawl as Judith described how the siege had left Bethulia without food or water, and how the townspeople, starving and dying of thirst, had decided to solve the problem by killing their livestock and eating foods that God's Law forbade them to eat. How they'd decided to eat wheat set aside from the early harvest, and oil and wine reserved as tithes for the priests in Jerusalem. This would incite God's anger.

She told Holofernes that God had sent her to the Assyrians to tell them when to attack: on the day her people actually ate the sacred food. Then God would allow the Assyrians to destroy them for their sin against him. She said that she would leave the camp each night and go out into the valley to pray, and God would let her know when they'd done their evil, and she would in turn tell the general.

Holofernes was plainly excited by Judith's proposal. Hanla could imagine that he now admired her for her wisdom as well as her physical beauty. From back among the soldiers she heard an awed, "She must be the most beautiful woman in the whole world!" Another voice asked, "I wonder if she is married," and a third responded, "Does that matter?" Beneath her shawl, Hanla shook her head a little in exasperation.

Holofernes answered the Israelite woman, "I am glad you have come here to bring us victory and help us destroy those who have insulted the exalted King Nebuchadnezzar. You are wise for a woman, and beautiful as well. If you do as you have promised me, one day you will live in King Nebuchadnezzar's palace and be rich, powerful, and famous through all the world!"

Judith's only response was to bow her head submissively, not looking anyone in the eyes.

Next Holofernes commanded his servants to take Judith to the dining table in his tent and to serve her some of his own special food and wine. Judith refused.

"I am sorry, sir, but I cannot eat your food," Judith reminded him. "If I did, I would be violating God's laws myself, and I am a religious woman. I will eat only what I have brought with me."

Holofernes shrugged and let her be. He gave his servants a new set of instructions on where to bring the two women, and they then led Judith and Hanla through the dusty camp to a tent. One handed Judith a lamp, and they all left.

As soon as they were gone, Judith let out a dramatic sigh. Hanla agreed wholeheartedly. It was an immense relief to be able to let up their act, though Judith had performed remarkably well. Perhaps that was because God had been with her, Hanla reasoned. Or perhaps it was because a good amount of what she'd told Holofernes and the Assyrians had been the truth. She'd only changed a few minor details and left out a few major ones. The only part of her story that had been completely false was her description of her motives for coming. For Judith had not come to this army's camp to run from her people's troubles, but to save them.

"You were wonderful, my lady," Hanla told her, not just trying to soothe her but meaning it. "Everyone trusts you completely."

"They are fools easily blinded by physical beauty." Judith's voice was cold and tired. No doubt she was thinking of her husband Manasseh, departed for over three years, the only man she'd ever before permitted to look at her the way all those Assyrians had.

Hanla sometimes worried about Judith, though she never expressed her fears. Judith had taken Hanla in as a young girl, and been the closest person to a mother that the slave had ever had, despite their age difference being barely ten years. But since Manasseh's death Judith had been colder, more distant toward people, if more devoted than ever toward God. And she was respected all the more reverently by her townspeople for it, but Hanla knew that she still grieved, and it worried her to see her lady withdrawn and vulnerable.

The tent was fairly large, but furnished only with one low bed. Judith set the lamp on the floor. Hanla spread a thick cloak over the bed and made it up for her mistress. She wished the tent had been supplied with mosquito netting; Judith should have to suffer as little as possible during her stay. Hanla watched as she began to take off her jewelry: gold and silver rings, earrings, bracelets around her thin wrists and ankles. She took off her fine dress as well, and pulled a simple covering over her head to sleep in. She hadn't worn anything so fancy as tonight's apparel in three years, either.

Once Judith was settled, Hanla spread her own cloak out on the ground. She was perfectly used to sleeping on the floor, and her only discomfort was due to the mosquitoes, which weren't nearly so profuse further up the mountain. Sleep came quickly � it had been a long day.

* * *

Hanla was awakened before dawn the next morning by the sound of Judith moving about the tent getting dressed. Wiping the sleep from her eyes, Hanla looked around and remembered where she was. She looked to her mistress, who was now wearing a plain dress with no jewelry or sandals. Hanla sat up, wondering what Judith had planned for today.

"I am going to pray now," Judith informed Hanla in her calm, serene voice. She asked Hanla to look outside and see if there were any soldiers standing guard outside their tent. Hanla stood, crossed the dark tent, and opened one of the tentflaps. She found only a single soldier standing guard close by. The man greeted her with a smile, though he was plainly disappointed that it was not the beautiful Judith whom he got to glimpse, but only her slave. Hanla nodded back and closed the tent.

"We shall have to speak quietly, my lady," she informed her mistress, "But it is safe."

Judith knelt down on Hanla's cloak, still spread over the floor, and folded her hands. Hanla knelt next to her. For a moment they sat in silent meditation, recounting to themselves everything that had happened and that would follow in the next few days. Then Judith began to pray.

"Dear God, our heavenly Father, thank you for carrying us safely into the camp of this Assyrian army. Please keep us safe from harm here and keep our true purpose a secret. Please protect us against mistakenly revealing your purpose with us to the Assyrians, so that we may carry out your plan, and bring honor to you and to your people. O Lord, please forgive our people for their crimes, and deliver them from this plague they suffer instead of punishing them further. For we are a people who love you and fear you, but we are only humans, very weak, as you know for you created us. In your awesome and endless power, O Lord, please protect us and save your people."

A moment after Judith finished Hanla began. "Father God, I pray for my lady Judith, who has come all this way out into this enemy campground. Give her strength, my Lord, that she may carry out the purpose for which you have sent her here. Please protect her from the dangers of this campground and of the mission she has come here to complete. We love you, God, and we thank you. Amen."

After they got up from praying, Hanla prepared a simple breakfast for them out of bread and dried figs from their food bag. Then Judith said to her, "You should go now, Hanla. Join the servants of the camp in their daily tasks � it will help us to integrate ourselves with these people further. Make use of yourself. I will stay here."

Hanla disliked the idea of leaving Judith alone in this place, but, ever-obedient, she bowed her head in acquiescence. She lifted her cloak from the floor and dusted it off, then tied it about her shoulders over her old, simple servant's dress. Then she covered her head with its customary shawl, pulled it loose to obscure her unwrinkled face, and pushed through the tentflaps.

The sun was just rising as she stepped outside, and she looked around, acknowledging the disappointed guard for a second time. Though the campground was only a temporary settlement, it was in better condition than her hometown. The tents Hanla passed withstood the light breeze of the valley more successfully than some of Bethulia's old buildings did the harsh mountain wind that faced them. Bethulia was in terrible disrepair, but her people lacked both the materials and the strength necessary to fix her. Their bodies were ravaged by diseases, their minds by despair. Children cried and collapsed in the streets. Starving, dehydrated humans, able to do nothing but moan in agony, littered the ground.

None of that was here. Finding the servants' quarters in the camp was easy; Hanla seemed to have an instinct for such things. She made sure her shawl was loose about her forehead and walked over.

For a moment Hanla stood in front of the servants' tent watching people go about their early morning activities. Soon a young woman in slaves' garb met her. She was carrying a large wooden tub full of cloth, balanced against her hip. "Hello." Her voice was pleasant. "You must be the slave of the Israelite woman we have heard has come here. We welcome you." A smile and a sweep of her eyes indicated that she was speaking for all the servants of the camp.

"Thank you," Hanla said, her nervousness somewhat abated. "I have come to ask what service I can be here."

"Come help me with this sewing," the Assyrian woman answered with barely a moment's hesitation. "We have just gotten new cloth, imported from the east, they said, and we are making tunics and such for the army. Surely you have noticed those they are wearing are threadbare."

Hanla had not noticed at all � the clothes of the army men were in better condition than those worn by most in her home town, but she didn't tell the Assyrian slave this. "I will be glad to," was all she said.

"My name is Ayali," the girl continued.

"I am Hanla," Hanla answered.

Ayali carried her tub into a small, leaning tent, set it on the floor, and sat herself down there, too. Hanla followed her. There were also three other women in the tent, all much older than Ayali, whom Hanla guessed was even younger than herself. They'd apparently been waiting for the young slave girl to return.

"What has taken you so long this time?" one asked.

"Are you such a weakling that you cannot carry a basket?" another complained. For a moment, Hanla worried for how they would treat her, a foreigner, if they were this tough on their own.

"I have met a stranger," Ayali said, her smile almost mischievous. "Everyone, this is Hanla, the servant of the Israelite woman we have heard so much about. She is going to join us here for a while. Hanla, this is Daume, Shadni, and Aukieva." Hanla hoped she'd be able to remember the strange foreign names.

The old woman Ayali had called Daume shook her head and grumbled, "Met someone and stopped to gossip. I should have suspected as much!"

"Yes." The oldest of the servants, Shadni, nodded to the woman beside her. "You should have. But I for one am grateful for the girl's young back, even if she completes her tasks no faster for it."

The smile never left the Ayali's face, and it was clear that she was not at all repentant for making them wait, not this morning or any other time. Hanla admired the way Ayali wasn't intimidated by the older women.

The three of them continued to disparage the younger girl as they worked, using old blades too dull for weapons to cut the cloth, which was finer than any Hanla had felt in quite a long time. Colored thread joined the fronts and backs of the patterns they'd cut. Hanla was mostly left out of the conversation � only Ayali made any effort to include her � but the work was pleasant and she enjoyed it. Sewing clothes for Judith was a task that Hanla had always liked, and one that she hadn't performed in years. Judith had not wanted anything new since Manasseh died. Hanla's hands were appreciative of the chance to sew again, even if making army tunics was not as exciting as making fine dresses. And even though it did feel a little absurd to be making clothes for a group of men who would wear them to attempt to destroy her people.

At one point after they'd been working for awhile, one of the tentflaps opened and sunlight streamed in. The bright light surprised Hanla � for the sun to be that strong it had to be afternoon already. She hadn't even noticed the time pass. She squinted to look up at the visitor, then her eyes grew wide as she recognized the entering servant as one of the men who'd been with them last night, the one who'd kept looking at her. Hanla immediately and indiscreetly pulled her shawl down over her eyes and her face.

With her face covered, Hanla couldn't see his expression as he asked, "Have you ladies got a spare blade here? Preferably one sharper than a wedge of wood?" His voice was light and energetic, despite the heat. Shadni heaved herself up and handed him one of the dull knives they'd been using to cut the cloth. "This is about the best we have," she informed him. "Put it to good use, Radan."

The man thanked her and left, and as the tent darkened Hanla released her grip on her shawl, letting it slide back up to her forehead. The older woman called Aukieva was looking at her strangely, but luckily none of the others seemed to have noticed her odd behavior. Hanla wasn't even sure why she'd acted like that, herself. But she knew that, somehow, she wanted to see Radan again.

* * *

Come late afternoon it was time to put away their needles, and Hanla was glad for it despite her joy in sewing, because her hands were starting to cramp up. The servants had to start preparing the camp's evening meal. Daume took charge and sent Ayali off to collect dried meat and vegetables for the stew from the camp's stores. "And be quick about returning with it!" she added as the young slave scurried away.

Daume turned to Hanla. "And let's see if you can be of any use. Do you know how to find the spring at the base of the mountain?"

Hanla bit back an indignant reply of: Of course I know where the spring is! That spring belonged to the people of my town before the army cut them off from it. She simply replied that she did, and the old woman handed her a large leather sack to carry the water, turned her around, and gave her a push in direction of the spring.

It was refreshing to leave the Assyrian camp, though really Hanla liked everyone she'd met that day. Out in the fields, nearly out of sight of the camp, with only nature and God, Hanla felt safe and free.

The light evening breeze lifted the shawl from around her head and blew it back behind her shoulders. Hanla smiled, raised her face to the world, and let the wind embrace her.

She reached the little spring, and wanted to rejoice for the comforting familiarity of the place. It had been over a month since she'd been there, but before the siege began she'd come every day to fetch water, sometimes twice. Hanla knelt down by the bank of the pool and dipped her hand into the cool running water, smiling as it brushed against her hand and slipped away. She looked down at her rippling reflection, into her own dark eyes staring back. The familiar grass tickled her bare feet as she floated the leather bag on the surface, in front of the water flow, holding the mouth open with her hands. When the submerged half of the sack was filled she pulled it back over the bank of the spring, stood, and tied it securely shut at the top.

She stood holding the bag and staring at the spring as the sun set behind the mountain. On an impulse she crossed around to the other side of the water, where she'd have stood had she just come from higher up the mountain, and turned around to glimpse the familiar view.

Staring back at her from across the water was an Assyrian man.

It was the same man who'd come to the slaves' tent that afternoon, Hanla realized, but by that point she'd already unfrozen from her initial shock and was running back around the little pool, the unwieldy water sack thumping her back and pushing her onward. In her haste she didn't think to fasten her shawl back around her head. Her only thought was to return to the camp, to Judith, the only person she could trust, before it was too late.

Hanla was already back to the camp, tired and sweaty from her run, before she noticed that the man had not followed her. She felt a slight wash of guilt. The man hadn't done anything to hurt her, and to judge by his clothing he was a higher ranking servant than the women who'd taken her in that morning.

In a bit of a daze she walked back to the servants' quarters, where she spotted the three older slave women taking a rest, sitting around a large fire which they'd just built. She remembered her hood, and placed it back over her head, tucking in the thin wisps of straight black hair that had escaped as she ran back to the camp. Daume noticed Hanla first.

"That was quick," she said, her tone surprised and pleased. "It is nice to see the young ones put in some effort once in a while."

"We shall keep her, and let the Israelite woman take Ayali back instead," Shadni added slyly.

Ayali returned just too late to hear their teasing comments, but in time to receive dirty looks from Daume and Aukieva. They retrieved their dull knives from their tent and began cutting the tough, dried vegetables and meat for the stew.

Hanla's mind was not on what she was doing, and even with the knives they had she cut her hand twice. Ayali, clearly puzzled, asked if she'd like to stop; perhaps Hanla did not know how to cook. Hanla assured her that no, she'd been cutting and cooking since she was a child. She wiped a trickle of blood away from her finger with a dirty cloth that the younger girl handed her.

"Well, then," Ayali pressed, "What is wrong?"

Hanla sighed. She didn't want to talk about why she was distracted; she never talked with anyone about things personal to her, not with anyone except God. But no one other than Ayali was paying any attention to her, and after another few days she'd never see Ayali again. So she figured it probably wouldn't hurt to tell her.

"When I went to fetch the water just now," Hanla explained, "One of your servants followed me, a man. It was the man who came to the tent this afternoon asking for a knife, or something like that�"

"Radan?" Ayali asked. "But what is wrong with that, as long as no one knows he's been shirking his duties? He is a very nice man." She giggled. "And handsome, too! What did he say to you?"

"Nothing. I ran away as soon as I saw him."

"Oohhh." Ayali's slow intake of breath showed that she understood. Her eyes were wide and sincere. "You do not have to be afraid of him, Hanla. He will not hurt you. Lots of them would � most of the soldiers, and some of the servants, those not worked or beaten into the ground by nightfall." There was bitterness in Ayali's tone for the first time Hanla had heard. "But not Radan." The bitterness vanished. "He is a good man. He is my friend."

Hanla sighed, wishing she could take back her hasty, fearful act. "And I have just done him a major insult." She stared mournfully down into the stewpot.

The somber look left Ayali's young face and she smiled again. "Do not worry. He will forgive you. Besides," her eyes glinted mischievously, "he deserves it. He scared you. He ought to have more brains in his head than that!"

Hanla had a sudden urge to ask Ayali if there were a way she could meet this man, to tell her all about the strange feeling that overtook her every time he was nearby. But her own shyness won out, and she kept her desires to herself.

The stew was almost done. Shadni glanced over at the two young slaves as she stirred it; apparently their exchange had attracted the interest of at least one of the older women. She turned to Hanla, but didn't say anything pertaining to her conversation with Ayali. Instead, she lifted the scooped metal ladle out of the pot, full of hearty stew, and said, "For all the work you have put in today, Hanla the Israelite, you deserve the first taste of your labors." She held the ladle up between herself and Hanla.

Hanla was almost as touched by her words and important manner as by the gesture itself. "Oh, I am honored! Thank you," she told the old woman sincerely. "But I cannot accept it. Our laws forbid us from eating this food. I am sorry. I must remain faithful to my God."

Shadni looked a hint disappointed, but she said, "All right. We are not really allowed to taste the first bit, anyway." From her dry tone and Ayali's grin, Hanla gathered that the servants got the first bite of dinner on most evenings.

As they served the soldiers throughout the camp, Hanla realized that she was indeed quite hungry. By the time they finished collecting metal soup dishes to wash, it was dark, and even the watery stuff left in the bottom of the kettle for the slaves smelled wonderful. As the Assyrian servants gathered around for their turn to eat, Hanla left the group and returned through the dark camp to the tent given her mistress.

The tent was nearly as dark as the night outside when Hanla entered. Judith was sitting on the bed, her hands folded and head bowed. She looked up at her servant.

"I was beginning to fear you were not coming back," Judith said, her voice as calm and serene as it had been in the morning. "I thank God that you are all right."

"I am sorry to worry you, my lady," Hanla quickly apologized. "I have been helping the camp's servants all day. They are � the ones I met are friendly."

"Good," Judith said simply. "You are playing your role well, then."

The comment made Hanla a little uncomfortable, as she hadn't realized she'd been playing any role. She took off her cloak and opened the sack of food sitting next to the foot of the bed.

"Prepare dinner quickly, please, Hanla," Judith told her. "I have received permission for us to leave the camp and go pray out in the valley. We can go each night that we are here, the general said."

Hanla had no arguments about putting their meal together fast � she was hungry. The food was bland and simple, just bread and figs and roasted barley, but Hanla was grateful for it. The two women ate quickly, then put on their cloaks, picked up the lamp, and left. They nodded to guards as they walked through the camp, nearly all of them straining at their posts for a passing glance at Judith's face. They walked out into the valley, Hanla a step ahead with the lamp but Judith really leading.

Hanla was pleased to realize that they were heading back toward the spring. She probably wants to see it again as badly as I did, Hanla reasoned. Walking through the warm night with no sound but the insects, the wind, and their own footsteps, as they had the first night, was a nice feeling. And in a couple days they'd be doing it again, but this time going home for good. Surprisingly, the thought wasn't all that comforting � Hanla wouldn't have minded staying awhile longer.

They reached the spring, and Judith decided to bathe before they prayed. So, in the safety of the wilderness, they removed their cloaks and dresses and swam in the little pool. It felt wonderful � with water so scarce in her town, Hanla had not been clean in quite awhile. She vigorously rubbed sand through her long hair to scrub the oil from it.

After the much-welcome bath the two women knelt in the grass on the mountain-side of the pool, both wanting to be as close to their home as possible. They prayed again � Judith first and then Hanla. Judith prayed this time for reasoning power for herself and Hanla, that they'd be able to devise a way to bring about Holofernes' death, thereby weakening the Assyrian army to the point that the Israelites would have chance to fight back. And she prayed for her Lord's protection, as before. Hanla's prayer was the same as it had been the previous night, with a brief thanks added on for the friendship she seemed to be forming with Ayali and the slaves in the camp.

Their lamp was growing dim by the time they got up, and almost dead when they made it back to their tent. Hanla's first action was to add more oil to it from the jar they'd brought. She knew they'd be burning it all night, if it took that long to formulate a plan for the murder. She set the lamp back on the floor.

Both women sat down on the bed to discuss ideas. Judith spoke as if nothing were out of the ordinary, as if killing enemy generals were only another chore. Hanla actually began to worry that this place was seriously disturbing her mistress; she was so emotionless. There was a fist-sized knot in Hanla's own stomach just talking about this sort of thing.

Judith did most of the planning, several times turning to her God again in prayer. Hanla only pointed out details that might be relevant � things she'd noticed about the camp that Judith hadn't had a chance to see. They decided to plan the killing for two nights later, when Holofernes had a banquet planned for his highest ranking officers. They'd all be celebrating too merrily to be alert for danger. Given the way he and the rest of the army men felt about Judith she thought it wouldn't be difficult to get into Holofernes' tent. There'd be no need to sneak a dagger in with her � both women clearly remembered the deadly weapons that had decorated the general's walls. Judith would go in alone. She would kill him before he realized what was happening, and they would leave immediately to return up the mountain. Hanla shuddered at the plan, but thought it should work.

The slave girl's eyes were drooping by the time Judith was finally satisfied with their discussion for the night, saying any necessary amendments could be made the next day. Hanla mechanically spread her cloak on the floor, put out the lamp, laid down, and despite her concern with the night of planning was asleep as soon as her head touched the ground.

* * *

Judith awakened with the sunrise again the next morning, and Hanla again followed, though she'd have liked another hour or so of sleep. They dressed, ate, and prayed as they had the previous day, and Hanla left for the servants' quarters to be of whatever help she could. She found some of the older women she'd met there, as well as many others she didn't know, but was disappointed that the man who'd followed her yesterday, Radan, was nowhere in sight. She felt a keen desire to apologize to him for running away.

It was for this need that, when Daume asked for someone to retrieve some water from the spring, Hanla immediately volunteered, her slightly clouded logic being that if he'd been there yesterday perhaps he'd be there again today. And even if he weren't, another trip out of the camp and to the spring was always welcome. She took the leather sack that Daume handed her and headed toward the spring, hope and young optimism setting her pace at almost a skip.

Hanla arrived at the spring and found no one there. She chided herself for expecting anything different. Though she knew it was a silly and childish thing to do, she removed the shawl from around her head, as if that would bring the man she wanted to see. She considered praying to God there, for a chance to see him again, but would have felt guilty praying for something so selfish, something that was not in any way a part of the reason for which they'd come. So Hanla sighed dejectedly, turned, and started back to the camp. About fifty paces in she remembered that she'd been sent to the spring for water. She returned and filled the bag, tied it, and lugged it heavily along on her back as she walked away.

* * *

Throughout the morning as she went about the chores she was given, Hanla's eyes searched for Radan. She was almost annoyed that he didn't show up at all. When she sat in the tent in the heat of the afternoon, making more clothing for the army with Ayali and the three old women, all she wanted to do was leave. Sewing had already lost its appeal. Her hands were sore and tired and the heat and the mosquitoes irritating. And Radan didn't poke his head in through the tentflaps, not once.

Finally, after Hanla had ruined a good piece of cloth by raking the knife too harshly down it, Ayali ventured to ask her if something was wrong.

"Not really," Hanla replied, wondering for the first time why she was so bothered by everything. There was no logical reason for it, none she could explain to Ayali. "I just feel bad about running away from that servant yesterday, at the spring. I want to apologize to him for it, but I cannot find him anywhere."

"That is all?" The grin that lit Ayali's eyes filled Hanla with a sudden dread. She knew what the girl was going to say. "I can arrange that!" And before Daume could get a full reprimand out of her mouth and before Hanla could do more than reach for her hand in a late attempt to pull her back down, Ayali had dropped her blade and was out of the tent.

The stern glares that fell on her from Daume and Aukieva and the subtly amused smiled from Shadni meant nothing at all to Hanla as she sat in the tent sweating in a way that had nothing to do with the day's heat. Panic clasped her stomach; though she'd been waiting all day for a chance to see this man, she realized that she was not ready now! She wanted to curse Ayali.

Ayali returned in just a few moments, contrary to her usual pattern. She came inside the tent, giggling like a foolish little girl, and grabbed Hanla's arm to drag her outside. Hanla reached her free arm up to pull her shawl down over her eyes, then changed her mind and let it be. She noticed Daume's mouth drop open as she was pulled away, and Aukieva's hands go to her hips, and Shadni's chin nod in satisfaction. Then she was outside in the late afternoon sun, staring into Radan's face and clutching Ayali's wrist so tightly she thought her skin would break across her knuckles.

Ayali pulled her hand out of Hanla's grip and made the introductions, the broad grin never leaving her face. "This is Hanla, the Israelite slave who belongs to the good lady Judith," Ayali announced. "And this is my friend Radan, a servant of this camp. It seems you two have been trying to meet each other for awhile."

Hanla groaned under her breath. Why did the girl have to say that? She looked to the ground to hide her red cheeks.

"Thanks, Ayali. I appreciate it," Radan said to her. The hint of humor in his voice was reassuring to Hanla, and she looked up. His cheeks also had a slight pink tinge to them.

"Here," Ayali said, ducking back into the tent for a second and emerging again with an old basket, which she thrust into Hanla's arms. "Take this. Your task is to gather mushrooms for the stew tonight. Now, go," she ordered them, placing a hand on each of their backs and giving them a push away from the servants' tent. Then she left them. Hanla wondered what kind of scolding the girl would receive, and whether or not she would care any. She observed disapproving eyes on them from servants all around.

"I�well�I guess we should leave," Radan turned to her and said, taking in the dirty looks they were receiving from every direction. "We can just walk around near the outskirts of the camp, if you would like," he suggested.

Hanla nodded, since something seemed to be wrong with her voice. Half of her wanted to pull her hood all the way over her head, but she kept her hands clutched firmly at her sides. They started walking. She tried again to summon her voice to apologize to him, since that was the whole reason for all of this.

"I wanted to tell you I am sorry."

Hanla missed a step and looked up at him; he was very tall. "What?" she asked, confused but glad that her voice had returned. "Why are you sorry?"

"I scared you. I did not mean to do that." He sighed. "Here is my confession: since you and the lady Judith first came two nights ago I have been following you, trying to see. I have been sneaky and manipulative, and I am not usually either, so I apologize for it."

"I forgive you," Hanla said easily. "And I am sorry I ran away and left you at the spring yesterday. I was not really scared, just a little surprised. But I do not understand why you did it at all."

Radan turned to her as they reached the edge of the campground. "Well," he began, "I am not even sure exactly why. But I think it is because, from the first moment I saw your face inside your cloak, you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, Hanla. In my whole life. And since then I have just had this feeling�and so I started sneaking around, which was probably not the best way I could have gone about it�"

Hanla's mouth was open in an 'o' of shock, so she couldn't answer. She didn't really believe what she was hearing. How could it be possible that this tall, handsome, confident man thought that she, a confused foreign slave from a mountain town inches away from being conquered, was beautiful?

Hanla couldn't answer with words, but her hands felt inspired to raise up and remove the shawl from over her head, exposing her face to him completely. Her round, dark eyes looked straight into his.

He stared back at her, then shook his head and smiled. "You have the most beautiful eyes in the world. All my friends, the other servants, can talk about is the Israelite lady Judith. They think me a fool for following you around and all�and maybe they are right, but for different reasons than they believe. They rave on and on about the amazing Judith; they do not understand how, with a lady that beautiful right in front of me, I can be so taken with her slave."

Hanla blushed but had to smile with delight. "No one has ever said anything like that about me before. I do not think I understand any more than your friends do."

That seemed to amuse Radan, for he laughed. Hanla noticed that they were making their way further out away from the camp instead of circling around it, and she was glad for it. Briefly she wondered if she ought to keep an eye out for edible mushrooms.

Radan changed the subject. "Why do you always cover your sweet face up in that hood?" He lifted it an inch off her back and dropped it again.

Hanla looked up at him, shaking her head a little for the things in life of which men were unfairly allowed to remain ignorant. She had no qualms about telling him her reason for the hood � if he didn't already know then he could do with that bit of education about the workings of the world.

"It is to obscure my age," Hanla explained. "Just about any man can take advantage of a young female slave, at any time he wishes, with impunity. They are less likely to be interested in an old woman." Hanla smiled to take some of the sting from her words. "You were not fooled, though."

Radan looked solemn, as if the slave girl had just struck a major blow to his idealism. "I am sorry," he said, looking at the ground. "I am sorry for frightening you more than being here in this camp already has. If you�if you want me to I will take you back there now, and not bother you any more for the rest of your stay. And I will see that no one else does, either." His voice was fierce for the last sentence.

Hanla wanted to laugh. "Of course I do not want that!" she told him. "I am not afraid of you anymore. I told you that already."

"Just the same, you can be sure I will protect you."

"All right," Hanla consented. "That is comforting."

They walked out further into the wilderness, and the conversation came easier, and at one point Radan took her hand in his, inciting a broad smile of delight to spread across her face. She shrugged her hood well down around her shoulders, and lifted her long black hair out from inside her cloak to let it hang down her back. The wind played with it, and sometimes Radan's fingers did too, and Hanla enjoyed both. A thought struck her at one point � when he'd seen her the previous evening at the stream her hair had been a greasy mess, her face smudged and dirty, and she'd gone for weeks without a decent bath. I must have looked wretched, Hanla thought, and he said that I was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. She was shocked and amazed.

At one point Radan asked her why she and Judith had come to the Assyrian camp at all. Hanla's first instinct was to simply tell him the truth, but she checked herself in time. She kept her eyes away from his so as not to reveal her fear at the question, or the dishonesty of her answer. Guilt pounded her with every half-true word she spoke. But her loyalty was still to Judith, her people, and her God.

She told him much the same story that Judith had told Holofernes when they'd first come: that God was going to destroy her people for their sins, so she and Judith had run away. She finally looked into his eyes when she was finished, to see if he believed her.

His eyes were boyish and he grinned. "Are you spies?" he asked as if it were the most casual question in the world. Hanla opened her mouth to protest and he added, "I do not mind if you are. I will not tell anyone."

Hanla wondered how he could grin as he said something like that. And she felt another stab of guilt that his loyalty to her could be that great, while she was lying to his face. "Why would our town leaders send women as spies?" she asked innocently.

"Well," Radan's grin was almost wicked. "You and Judith are very beautiful. You have seen the men here falling over themselves for a glance at the lady Judith. She would have no trouble at all getting them to reveal what she wants to know. They say in bed is where men tell the most, after all."

Hanla stopped walking and turned to face him, planting her hands firmly on her hips. Her cheeks grew hot with outrage at the very idea that he was suggesting. "My lady Judith is a pure and religious woman, completely devoted to God and her departed husband! Have you seen her once since she has been here attempt to charm any man? She has hardly left her tent; she stays out of sight as much as she can. She would never do anything so immoral!"

Radan only laughed at her outrage. "I am sorry, I was teasing. I was only teasing you!" he insisted. Hanla gave him a scathing glare anyway. He deserved at least that much. "Oh, Hanla," he said, his tone begging forgiveness without really being apologetic. He grabbed her wrists and gently pulled her toward him. The emotion inside her didn't dissipate, but changed from anger to something else, even stronger. And he bent down and kissed her lips, tilting his head so she could pull away if she wanted to, and responding fervently when she did not. Hanla felt no guilt about it. This wasn't a sin to hide from her God; God was there, and she had his approval, she was sure of it. Hanla had never felt so safe, or so loved by God and mankind.

* * *

By the time they started back toward the camp, well out of sight beyond the horizon, Hanla was carrying her shawl over her elbow. The night was cool and dry despite the heat of the day, and the mosquitoes as sparse as she'd seen them since descending the mountain. They walked back with fingers interlocked. Hanla cherished every moment. Just before they entered back into the camp Radan kissed her again. Then she regretfully released his strong hand, and they went back to the respective places where they belonged.

For Hanla that meant returning to Judith's tent. Dinner was well over, and Judith was hungry, annoyed, and worried by her failure to return until now. "Have you been with the Assyrian slaves this late into the night?" she asked heatedly.

Hanla bent the truth and nodded that she had. Well, Radan was an Assyrian slave. But she felt a powerful wash of guilt for her dishonesty then. Hanla quickly got out some food for herself and Judith. She was quite tired, and the last thing she wanted to do was leave the camp once again and cross the countryside to the spring to pray, but she didn't complain. And as they were praying for the success of their plan and strength for them the next day, new fears rose in Hanla. What if their actions resulted in harm to Radan, or Ayali, or the other Assyrian slaves who'd become her friends? She found that the prayers she spoke out loud were very different from what she silently begged of her Father, inside her head.

* * *

The next day Judith told Hanla to remain in the tent instead of going out to help the other slaves, and Hanla had to fight not to protest. Judith informed her calmly that they would spend the entire day in prayer and quiet meditation, until the time came for them to actually effect their purpose. Hanla was rebellious, but she obeyed. She prayed for Judith's safety, but more so for that of Radan and the other Assyrian servants in the days that would follow, though she felt guilty for it, and disloyal.

Late in the afternoon Judith changed out of her simple garments and into the fancy dress and jewelry she'd worn into the camp three days before. Hanla braided her mistress' thick black hair and looped the braids around her head, then covered them all with a fine blue veil. They had no cosmetics with them, but Judith's cheeks had a pink tinge on their own, as she was flustered with anticipation. Hanla did her best to make everything about Judith appear perfect � her beauty could be the key to both of their survival.

Just as the sun was setting a servant came to Judith's tent and quietly called to her. When she walked over to meet him he informed her that Holofernes had invited her to come to his tent and drink with him, to enjoy herself like the Assyrian women who served in Nebuchadnezzar's very palace, Holofernes had instructed him to tell her. Though that was certainly the last thing that Judith would like to do, she bowed her head and graciously accepted. She accompanied the servant out of the tent, and Hanla emptied what food they had left from the big canvas sack, folded it up, held it within her cloak, and followed.

The servant brought them to the outer chamber of Holofernes' tent and went inside to announce Judith's arrival to the general. A moment later he returned and nodded for Judith to go in. Then he left to give the two some privacy, and pulled Hanla away, as well. At first she resisted � the plan called for her to stay there � but she realized that drawing attention to herself would cause more problems than leaving would.

The man headed toward the servants' quarters and brought Hanla there with him, as probably seemed only logical. Slaves were gathered around laughing and drinking and doing very little work �even this area of the camp had caught the festive spirit. Hanla tried to think up an excuse to leave. Then her eyes fell on Radan, standing near the entrance to the large servants' tent and talking to Ayali. She forgot about getting away and ran to him.

Hanla wrapped her arms around Radan's tall frame and held him tightly, not caring what those around them thought of it, and he did the same to her despite his obvious surprise. She opened her mouth to tell him the reason for it, that she was leaving tonight, and even to tell him why she was leaving when he inevitably asked. But something stopped her before she could get the words out. I have to tell him, to warn him, or I may never see him again! her mind yelled at her. But if I do that, I will be handing him the problem that I have now, the problem of which friend to betray. I cannot do that to him. Besides, if she told him and he did decide to remain loyal to his people, Judith would die. No matter what, Hanla couldn't let that happen.

So when she looked up into his warm brown eyes all she told him was, "I have to go back to Judith now."

Radan nodded and let her go, his gaze still a bit puzzled. Before the urge to run back to him could win her over, she forced herself back to Holofernes' tent, folded canvas sack still clutched within her cloak. She walked into the outer chamber. She was in plain sight but since all those watching knew that Judith was inside � any change in her location within the camp seemed to spread like wildfire among the men � no one questioned Hanla's presence.

She went inside and waited. Her racing heart made the eternity she spent there seem even longer. Judith was still inside, and Hanla hoped Holofernes was drunk enough by now for Judith to be safe. She prayed earnestly for Judith's safety for a few minutes. Then she waited restlessly, alternating between pacing around the chamber looking at the weapons covering the walls, and staring into the empty food bag and pondering.

Her shawled head jerked up abruptly at the sound of her mistress' soft footsteps returning. Judith's endlessly calm, serene face now seemed a bewildered girl's. Her eyes were too large and on the brink of tears. It frightened Hanla from deep inside to see Judith like that, and she looked down.

This brought her eyes to rest on the bundle in Judith's hands. It was covered by crumpled purple cloth with gold embroidery, and the dark stain spreading across the material was plainly visible. It was the mosquito netting, Hanla realized; that which had surrounded the general's bed and protected him while he slept. Now it held his head. His own blood was staining it so deeply the purple looked black.

Hanla was sickened and fascinated at once. She couldn't tear her eyes from the horrible bundle, especially since Judith was looking anywhere but at it and Hanla was struck with an unreasonable fear that if at least one of them did not keep watch the head would return to life and rain immediate doom down upon them both.

The bleeding from the excised head was so profuse that soon the netting was saturated. Hanla held open the big canvas food sack, and, still barely glancing at it, Judith deposited her bundle inside. Traces of red blood remained on her hands. She wiped it away on her dress. Hanla was thankful she hadn't had to touch the netting. She wasn't normally squeamish, but she recoiled at the thought of having the blood of the Assyrians on her hands.

Composing her face without speaking a word, Judith walked out through the flaps of the tent, and Hanla followed with the sack. Then the two women simply walked out of the camp. Many stared at them as they went, but they were all only captivated by Judith's beauty � no one questioned. The festivities continued.

Judith walked in front as they crossed the valley. Hanla tried to focus on the pleasures of the wilderness � the light evening breeze, the chirping insects, the soft grass � and forget what she was carrying. But thoughts of the bag and its contents filled every corner of her mind. The images that flashed through her head became more twisted and tortured with every step away from the camp. It was not Holofernes' blood on her hands; it was that of all the Assyrians, of Ayali and the other servants. It was not his head in the bag; it was Radan's.

Hanla climbed all the way up the mountain to the tall, solid wooden gates of Bethulia without realizing it at all. Judith called out, her voice surprisingly steady, and a tired-looking man stuck his head over the top of the wall to see who was there. He rubbed his eyes in amazement when he saw who it was. A moment later the massive gates were being pulled open, and more and more rejoicing Jews streaming forward to greet Judith.

It all put Hanla in a sort of daze. Hanla soon found herself following close behind Judith as the widow was led off through the jubilant crowd to a meeting with the town's three head officials. As they left she noticed some townspeople holding the head up in the air to place on a stake and parade around in victory.

Hanla wasn't permitted to sit in on the meeting, so she hung back in the shadows, sitting in the grass and hugging her knees to her chest. She half-listened to the snatches of their conversation that drifted down to her.

Judith talked about how she had carried out her deed, emphasizing God's role for them. She told them about the festival and that no one should discover their leader was dead until the next morning. And she told them what to do next.

"As soon as the sun rises, have all the men in Bethulia take up their weapons and march down into the valley. Attack the camp, and they will rush to Holofernes for leadership, and find him dead. The ensuing chaos will render them unable to fight, so they will retreat instead, and our men will hunt them down and kill them as they go, until none of them are left at all."

Those words struck a chord with Hanla. She'd been shaking her head in denial of what Judith was advising the whole time, but now instead she jumped up and started to run, her own body beyond her control. I should have told him everything, why didn't I tell him, why didn't I warn him? she berated herself, as tears streamed down her face. She was running through the mobs in the streets of her town, out of Bethulia, and back down the mountain. She was going to warn them all � she had to. Night had fallen, and bats swooped close above her head but Hanla didn't care. She ran downward at a dangerous pace. The only thought on her mind was getting back to the Assyrian camp, to right her mistake by telling Radan and all of the others of what would happen to them in the morning.

Her right foot caught suddenly and painfully against a rock or a root, and as she was already descending the slope far too quickly she lost her balanced and fell. She tumbled down and down, end over end, until she lost consciousness, her last agonizing thought being frustration and regret that she had failed.

* * *

When Hanla next woke it was all over.

It was late afternoon by the sun. Hanla pulled herself into a sitting position to look around. She was about halfway down the side of the mountain. Her clothes were half shredded, but miraculously she was completely unhurt, without even a headache. There was pain in her heart, though, acute and stabbing.

She climbed onto a large rock on the side of the mountain, and watched the scene below. A cheering, shouting train of victorious men, and women and children, hauled overstuffed sacks out of the ravaged Assyrian campground. Sunlight glinted off gold in the hands of her people. Riches were streaming into her small, humble town. Her people had gone from starving captives to heroes in a single afternoon. They were rich now. And they were free. The Assyrians were gone. All of them.

The Israelite soldiers had returned from chasing them, at least. They'd all come back to claim their share of the loot. Perhaps the slaves had gotten away. Perhaps her people, and those from neighboring towns whom they'd summoned to join in the victory, had spared those without weapons. Even though she would certainly never see Radan or any of the slaves she'd met again, she hoped that they were alive. Without kneeling or folding her hands she looked up at the sky, the direction with which she had always associated her God, and prayed for them. And wished fervently that there were anything more she could do.

For a moment she railed at God for his injustice, demanding an explanation for why he'd allowed all of this to happen to her. Of course, she realized after, had God not sent Judith into the camp to carry out his will Hanla would never have met Radan or any of the others at all, and for all the anger and pain clouding her heart she still felt her short acquaintance with them was better than none. No mystery had a simple answer.

The world had returned to the way it had always been. The people of Bethulia had food and water, and now would never go hungry again; Judith was admired and respected for her faith, wisdom, and courage, more so than ever before, and her slave once more had God and nature as her only friends. Sitting on the rock and looking skyward, Hanla removed the shawl from over her head. Distressed as she was, she once again allowed the wind to embrace her, and closed her eyes in remembrance as it played with her long, flowing hair.


Background

Mel World Home

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1