Current Professional Status __________________________________________________________________
- Research Associate in Islamic and Iranian Studies the VIDI Project at the TCMO Institute , Research School of Asian, African and Amerindian Studies, University of Leiden, the Netherlands.
-MA in Medieval Studies (History) from the I.P.P.M.S. at the University of Ioannina. Greece.(10/01/1999-10/24/2001)
Research Field: Sasanian-Roman relations
MA Thesis: "The Zoroastrian clergy and its influence on the diplomatic relations of Later Roman Empire and Sasanian Iran".(Work given the Second Prize in Iranian Studies. See Honors )
-One semester for advanced language courses (Persian) and research at the University of Tehran. Iran.(Spring 2001)
-B.A. in History from the Department of History and Archaeology (School of Philosophy) of the
University of Ioannina. Greece.(11/9/1995 - 30/7/1999).
Research Interests __________________________________________________________________
- 'Further Notes on the Persian Khurramden and the Arab-Byzantine Conflict' (2008) (Forthcoming article)
- 'Alexander the Great and the Seleucids in Iran' in Iranian Civilization: From Past to Present, ed. T. Daryaee (Costa Mesa - CA 2008). (Forthcoming).
- 'Naval details in the Persian 1427 Gulistan Manuscript (15th century)' in the Treasures of Arab, Persian and Byzantine Ships, ed. V. Christides, (Athens, 2004), pp. 132-138.
- 'The Crew of Dhaw Ships in the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf during 16th cent. according to Akbar-Nameh by Abu 'l Fazl `Allami (-1593)' in Aspects of Arab Seafaring , Kuweit-Athens 2002, pp. 259-271.
- 'Const. VII Porphyrogenitus, Stadiodromicon", text & translation; in "Byzantine and Arab Sailing Ships (7th-13th cent.)', Athens-Oinoussai 2001, pp. 67-68.
Articles in Proceedings of Conferences:
- 'The Legendary Travel of Alexander the Great to China according to the Persian epic romance Iskandarnama' in M. Kordosis (ed.),Proceedings of the First International Conference of Graeco-Chinese Medieval Studies, (1-3 October 2004, The University of Ioannina, Ioannina Greece), Ioannina 2007 (Forthcoming).
Entries in Encyclopaedias and Dictionaries
- Contemporary Graeco-Iranian Relations, in the Encyclopaedia Iranica(ed. E. Yarshater, New York). (Forthcoming).
- 'Olympic Games. i. In ancient times'in the Encyclopaedia Iranica (ed. E. Yarshater, New York). (Forthcoming).
- Torab A., Performing Islam, Gender and Ritual in Iran, Leiden ¨C Boston, 2007. ISBN: 90-04-15295-4 /978-90-0415295-3, 302 pp. in Journal of Oriental and African Studies, 14 (2008).
- Hagg, T. and B. Utas, The Virgin and her Lover, Fragments of an ancient Greek novel and a Persian epic poem, Brill Studies in Middle Eastern Literatures, Supplements to the Journal of Arabic Literature, vol. XXX, Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2003. ISSN: 1571-5183, ISBN: 90-04-13260-0, pp. xiii, 278; pls. 6, in Persica 22 (2008) (forthcoming).
- Afshar, I. and Afshari M. (eds.), Hussein-e Kurd (Tehran, 1385/2006) in Iranian Studies (New York) (forthcoming, 2008).
- Skalmowski, W., Studies in Iranian Linguistics and Philology, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Jagiello¦Ñskiego, Krak¦²w, 2004. (24 cm, 336). ISBN: 82-233-1872-7, in Bibliotheca Orientalis (2006), pp. 35-36.
-Matthee, R., The Pursuit of Pleasure, Drugs and Stimulants in Iranian History, 1500-1900, Princeton and Oxford: Princeton University Press, 2005, in Journal of the American Oriental Society, (2006), p. 461.
-Yamamoto, K., The Oral Character of Persian Epics, Brill Studies in Middle Eastern Literatures Series (Leiden and Boston, Brill Academic Publishers, 2003). xxiv + 191 pp. Notes, tables, appendices, bibliography, index. ISBN: 90-04-12587-6, in Journal of the American Oriental Society, (2006), pp. 441-2.
-Gaillard, M., Alexandre le Grand en Iran. Le Darab Nameh d'Abu Taher Tarsusi, Paris: Editions de Bocard, 2005, in the journal Iranian Studies (New York) 39 (2006), pp. 456-459.
Notes in Journals and Newletters ____________________________________________________________________
- 'Some Notes on Research in Contemporary Iran' in the Newsletter of the International Society for Iranian Studies 33/1-3 (2004), p. 17.
- 'The Sasanika Project' in Graeco-Arabica 9-10 (2004), pp. 413-414.
- "The Role of the Sasanians in the Silk Road: The Sasanian-Soghdian Conflict (568/9 A.D.)", in the Newsletter (Khabarnameh) of The Persian Cultural Center of San DiegoCA-USANo. 83 (January-February 2003), pp.8-9.
- 'The development of Iranian Studies in Greece' (in Persian), in Name-ye Iran-e Bastan/The International Journal for Iranian Studies 1/2 (2001-2002), pp. 83-84.
Articles in Newspapers
- "The Religion in Sasanian Iran" (in Greek) at Kathimerini Newspaper (Athens - 30th January, 2005).
- "The Status of Neutrality in Cyprus between the Arabs and the Byzantines" , (in Greek) at Kathimerini Newspaper (Athens - August 6, 2000).
- Convenor of the First International Conference in Hellenic-Iranian Studies (Athens, Greece, 2010).
- Member of the Organising Committee of the Sixth ISIS Biennial Conference on Iranian Studies (SOAS, London, 3-5 August, 2006).
- Convenor of the Graduate Workshop in Iranian Studies: "Aspects of History and Culture in pre-Modern Iran",5-6 March 2005, University of Edinburgh, UK.
- Women storytellers in modern Iran, paper presented at the Leiden Shahnama Conference, 8-10 January, 2009.
-The Shahnama and the storytelling tradition in contemporary Iran: The cases of Khurasan and Firuzkuh regions, Paper presented at the Cambridge Shahnama Project - Leiden Persian Epic Cycle Conference (Cambridge, UK, 13-15 December, 2007).
- 'Aspects of Islam and nationalism as reflected in the Shahnama storytelling tradition in contemporary Iran', paper presented at the Sixth Societas Iranologica Europaea Conference (Austrian Academy of Sciences, 18-22 September 2007).
- 'A Grammar of Modern Persian for Greek Speakers', paper presented at the conference 'Traditions in Persian Literature and Linguistics' (Leiden University, 5-6 July 2007).
- 'The knowledge of the Europeans about the Shiite Islam: The case of the Shiite Islamic studies in European universities', paper presented at the 16th Summer Seminar titled 'Islam in Europe', organised by the Panteion University, Hydra Island, 2-6 July 2007.
- 'The 1861-2 Commercial Treaty between Persia and Greece, paper presented at the Eighth Workshop of the British Institute of Persian Studies (BIPS), (SOAS, London, 1-2 December 2006).
- Dating the narrative: The case of the Iskandarn¦Âma prose romance, Paper presented at the Sixth ISIS Biennial Conference on Iranian Studies (SOAS, London, 3-5 August, 2006).
- 'The Shahnama as a source for the compilation of the Iskandarnama', Paper presented at the Seventh Workshop of the British Institute of Persian Studies (BIPS), Emmanuel College, Cambridge, UK (16-17, September 2005).
- 'Persian war-like heroines in the Persian Alexander Tradition: the Cases of Araqit and Burandukht', Paper presented at the "10th International Conference of Graeco-Oriental and African Studies" - Institute for Graeco-Oriental and African Studies (I.G.O.A.S.). Athens, Greece (25-28, August 2005).
- 'Aspects of Kingship in the Iskandarnama' Paper presented at the Graduate Workshop in Iranian Studies: "Aspects of History and Culture in pre-Modern Iran", 5-6 March 2005, University of Edinburgh, UK
- "The Legendary Travel of Alexander the Great to China according to the Persian epic romance Iskandarnama". Paper presented at the "1st Graeco-Chinese Conference" - The University of Ioannina, 1-3 October 2004.
- "Shahnamah and Iskandarnamah: Common Themes derived from the Pseudo-Callisthenes Literary Tradition" at the Fifth Workshop of The British Institute of Persian Studies (BIPS) for Reasearch on Iran. - April, 25-26, 2003, University of Edinburgh.United Kingdom.
-Remarks on the Zoroastrian Clergy's Impact on the Sasanian Foreign Policy towards Romans (4th cent.) at the Fourth Biennial Conference on Iranian Studies
[Organized by The Society for Iranian Studies (SIS), Date: May 24-26, 2002. Place: Bethesda, Maryland. USA]
-"The Sassanid Occupation of Egypt (7th cent. A.D.), Part II"
at the "8th International Congress on Graeco - Oriental and African Studies" (Chios Island-Oinousses 5-9 / 7 / 2000. Greece).
-"The Sassanid Conquest of Egypt (A.DD.. 7th cent.), Part I."
at the ''7th International Congress on Graeco - Oriental and African Studies'' (Cairo, 24 - 28 February 1999. Egypt).
-"I Congress of Greece and Cyprus for the researchers of Byzantine Civilization"
(Ioannina, 25-27 September 1998. Greece).
-Secretarial service of thhee "I International Congress for the Spread of Greek Civilization from Asia Minor to Cuddix of Spain'' (Corfu, 15 - 18 September 1998. Greece).
Lectures -Talks __________________________________________________________________
- "Kazantzakis's works in Great Britain and Iran," Lecture to be held at the Ionian Society, London, UK, 23 October 2007.
- "Hellenic-Iranian Studies: Establishing and Promoting a new discipline worldwide." Lecture in Persian held at the Iranology Foundation(Bonyad-e Iranshenasi), 8 May 2007, Tehran, I.R. Iran.
- "Shahnama and Iskandarnama: Similarities and differences." Lecture in Persian held at the National Museum of Iran (Muse-ye Iran-e Bastan), 25 April 2007, Tehran, I.R. Iran.
- "Alexander the Great in the Iranian Cycle of Kings: Some Notes on the Pahlavi and Firdawsi's 'Book of Kings'". Lecture held at the "Scottish Hellenic Society Lecture Series", David Hume Tower, February 7, 2005, Edinburgh, UK.
- "Iranian Studies in Greece", Lecture held at the Department of Literature, University of Shiraz, 11:00-11:45, 29 April 2004, Shiraz, Iran.
Member of the excavation group in Ancient Dodoni - Epirus, N. W. Greece, July 1999 and 6 - 11 September 1999.
Professors of Classical archaeology in charge: Mrs. A. Vlahopoulou, Mrs. H. Souli and Mrs. K. Gravani (University of Ioannina).
Tutorial experience __________________________________________________________________
- Tutor of Modern Greek Language at the Stauros Niarchos Centre for the Promotion of the Greek language and Civilisation. March-April 2006, University of Ioannina, Greece.
- Assistant tutor at the course: "Introduction to Byzantine History" taught by Prof. T. Kolias, University of Ioannina. Academic Year 1999-2000 (A' Semester).
Editorial Experience __________________________________________________________________
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Iranian Studies Series, Leiden University - Rozenberg Publishers, Amsterdam.
Research Projects __________________________________________________________________
- Member of the Advisory Board of the SASANIKA Project California State University - Fullerton (California/USA, 2003-)
Other activities __________________________________________________________________
- Organizer of the offering to Iranian Cinema and Abbas Kiarostami, The University of Ioannina May 15-16, 2002. [With the kind participation of M. R. Ghanoonparvar, Professor of Persian and Comparative Literature The University of Texas at Austin, USA].
-Assiduity of the Greek Periodical "Historiogeographica" 10 (2002-2004), Ioannina-Thessaloniki.
-Assiduity of the Greek Periodical "Historiogeographica" 8 (1999-2000), Ioannina-Thessaloniki.
-Assiduity of the Greek Periodical "Historiogeographica" 7 (1997-1998), Ioannina-Thessaloniki.
-Founder of the Iranian-Studies Yahoo group
Other Memberships __________________________________________________________________
-Member of the foundation ''Friends of the Byzantine Museum at Ioannina''. Ioannina.
-Member of the Edinburgh University Persian Society (2002-2003). Edinburgh.
-Elected Member of the Executive Committee of the Edinburgh University Hellenic Society. Edinburgh, (2002-2003).
-Member of the Edinburgh University Hellenic Society (2003-2004)
- Ettelaat Newspaper (30/5/2007): Interview about Iranian culture and my meeting with former I.R.I. President Mr. Muhammad Khatami (Journalist: Ms. Negin Husseini)
- Two radio interviews for the Greek SKY Radio (23/2/2007, 26/2/2007,Athens, Greece). Discussant: Mrs. Marianna Koromila.
- Ettelaat Newspaper (6/12/2006): Interview about the importance of Iranian civilisation and the Leiden Shahnama Project (Journalists: M. Izadparast and A. Naeini)
- A Live TV interview at the Programme 'Partu', IRIB Channel 4 (6/12/2006). Discussant: Mr. Ali-Akbar Abdolrashidi
- An IRNA written interview about the relations between Iran and the West (Athens, 24/08/2005).
- An Interview to the Greek Orthodox Church Radio Station about the IGOAS conference on Islam and the West (Athens, 23/08/2005)
- An IRIB TV interview about Graeco-Iranian Studies and the Importance of Iranian Civilization (Edinburgh, 15/02/2005).
- An IRIB TV interview about the importance of book for the society (Tehran, April, 2001).
Future Activities __________________________________________________________________
- Convenor of the First International Conference in Hellenic-Iranian Studies (Athens, Greece, 2010).
- Co-organizer (on behalf of the Society for Hellenic-Iranian Studies) of the First Annual Lecture of the Society for Hellenic-Iranian Studies to take place at the Great Hall, King’s College, London, 10 March, 2009 in conjunction with Dr Karim Arafat, the Centre for Hellenic Studies, King’s College and the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies in the UK. Speaker: Prof. Sir John Boardman (Ashmolean Museum); topic: ‘Persia, Greece and Britain.’