RICHARD JOHNSON was born in 1629 in Bilsby, Lincolnshire, England, died in May 1699 in Stratton, King and Queen County, Virginia and was buried at Old Church..He married 1) in England to ---- unknown ---- and 2) in King William County, Virginia to Susan Duncombe, daughter of William Duncombe and 3) ---- unknown ----. In England, Richard and his first wife had a daughter, Judith, who was educated at a boarding school in Lincoln and married ca 1700 Sir Hardoff Wastneys. Susanna Duncombe, born 8 May 1664, died 8 August 1686, buried at Old Church, had no children by Richard and could not have been the mother of Col. Johnson's three sons. As for the third wife, nothing is known about her except that there was some irregularity in the marriage as Richard, in his will, made special provision for his last son, Thomas.
It is not known when Richard emigrated, but in 1679 he was "Capt Richard Johnson", a Captain of horse in the militia, living in New Kent County. In 1680, he was a justice for New Kent County. King and Queen records: Richard Johnson justice 1693 from Rappahannock and Essex. At the Council held at James City 16 Oct 1695, Col. Richard Johnson was nominated and appointed to be one of his Majesties Council in Virginia. On 25 October 1695, Col. Richard Johnson, the Councillor of State of King and Queen County, was granted 3,285 acres of land in Pamunkey Neck on Moncuen Creek , King and Queen County (now King William County), but surrendered it 15 October 1696 to allow the College of William and Mary to establish the lines of College Tract. The head-rights were: Richard Johnson, Jane Johnson, Richard Johnson, Susanne Johnson, &c. This could be Col. Johnson, his wife, and his children. At a Council held at James City February 23, 1698 Richard Johnson Esq. being by indisposition disable to come to this Council, made excuses for absence, in letters to his Excellency. In the Council Chamber at James City 9 Dec 1698, Richard Johnson was nominated and constituted to be "His Majesties Council of State for this His Colony and Dominion of Virginia". On 18 April 1699 "Richard Johnson Esq. being by His Majts Royal Instructions appointed a Member of the Council of State for this His Majts Colony and Dominion, he took the Oaths appointed by Act of Parliament to be taken instead of the Oath's of Supremacy and Allegiance, Subscribed the Test and Association, appointed by Act of Parliament took the Oath of a Councillor and took his place at the Board Accordingly". Richard Johnson was present May 4, 1699 but on mission of the Peace for Hanover County 16 May 1699 "Richard Johnson Esq. having gone home on Saturday last, and being there taken very ill, made his Excuse by a letter, to His Excellency, for his Absence Yesterday,.... desiring the said Johnson to be in Town, as Soon as his health will permit."
References: "A History of Louisa County, Virginia", by Malcolm H. Harris, MD, "Genealogies of Virginia Families" From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. IV p. 141 by Burke's "Extinct & Dormant Baronetage", "Statutes at Large" A Collection of all the Laws of Virginia-Vol II by William Waller Hening, "Minutes of the Council and General Court of Colonial Virginia" Second Edition Edited by H. R. McIlwaine, "Virginia - Colonial Abstracts" by Beverley Fleet, Vol II, "The Louisa County Historical Magazine" Vol II No.1 Summer 1979 p. 18, "Executive Journals of the Council of Colonial Virginia, Vol. 1 (June 11, 1680 - June 22, 1699), "Old New Kent County Some Account of The Planters, Plantations, and Places in King William County St. John's Parrish" Volume II Compiled by Malcolm Hart Harris MD.
THOMAS JOHNSON was born 1694 in King William County, Virginia, and died 1734 in Hanover County, Virginia. He was married in Virginia to Ann Meriwether, daughter of Nicholas Meriwether and Elizabeth Crawford. Ann was born in 1694 in Charlottsville, Albemarle County, Virginia and died in 1785 in Virginia. In 1711 Thomas was issued a patent for 970 acres in King William County lying between the lands of the Gooches and Pamunkey River, which he possessed at the time of his death in 1734. Thomas was a Burgess from King and Queen in 1718, and for King William County in 1720-22. He was living at this time on his father's estate, Chericoke, a tract of land, 750 acres in the parish of St. John, King William County at Pamunkey Neck. Thomas Johnson owned land in New Kent County in St. Paul's Parrish on branch of Stonehorse Creek and on 5 September 1723 in Hanover County on Stony run.
In record books are the following: 1) Orphans Bond, 6 February 1734, Ann Johnson widow and David Meriwether Gent. and Joseph Fox of Hanover County are firmly bound unto Nicholas Meriwether Gent. first Justice in the Com as guardian of Richard, James, Ann and Thomas Johnson, orphans of Thomas Johnson, deceased, 2) Deed of Gift, 12 December 1734, from Ann Johnson to her son Nicholas Johnson, a Boy Slave named Daniel and 3 Negro Girl Slaves, Sarah, Ester and Tamar, 3) Deed, January 1734, from Nicholas Johnson of King William County, to his sisters Jane and Ann Johnson, 4) 26 April 1758 Ann Crosby gave to her son, Richard Johnson of St. Paul's Par., Hanover Co. 14 Negro slaves and 5) 26 Apr. 1757 Ann Crosby sold to Thomas Johnson of Caroline Co. Entered into court, 7 June 1734, was a Deed of Gift from Thomas Johnson of Hanover County, St. Paul's Parrish to his daughter, Semi Remis Paullet, for 200 acres on Stone Horse Creek with the plantation houses, barns, orchards and all other appurtenance. After Thomas died, she married in 1750 to John Cosby, born in 1680 and died in 1760. John's 1st wife was Martha Garland (born 1690, died 1749), daughter of Edward Garland of Hanover County. John and Martha had 7 children, born between 1711 and 1722. Ann Meriwether Crosby's will, dated 2 February 1780, was recorded 9 May 1785 in Louisa County, Virginia.
References: "A History of 'Louisa County, Virginia", by Malcolm H. Harris, MD, "Genealogies of Virginia Families" from the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol IV, "The Louisa County Historical Magazine", Vol II No 1 Summer 1979, "Cavaliers and Pioneers" Abstracts of Virginia land Patents and Grants Vol III: 1695-1732, abstracted by Nell Marion Nugent p 213, "Cavaliers and Pioneers - Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants - Vol 4 1732-1741" Edited by Denis Hudgins, "Cavaliers and Pioneers", Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants, Vol 5 1741-1749 Edited by Dennis Ray Hudgins, "Old New Kent County Some Account of the Planters, Plantations, and Places in King William County, St. John's Parish" Volume II compiled by Malcolm Hart Harris MD p 754, "Hanover County, Virginia Court Records 1733-1735: Deeds, Wills and Inventories Abstracted and compiled by Rosalie Edith Davis p 27, "Hanover County, Virginia Court Records 1733-1735, Deeds, Wills, & Inventories Abstracted and Compiled by Rosalie Edith Davis p. 52, "Louisa County, Virginia", Deed Book A and B 1742-1759 Abstracted and compiled by Rosalie Edith Davis p. 139, "Abstracts of Early Louisa County, Virginia Will Books" 1743-1819 p. 79 W.B. 3, p.82.
SEMI RAMIS (Samarial) JOHNSON was born ca 1710-15 in Hanover County, Virginia, and died before 1750 in Louisa County, Virginia. The only evidence available in proving Semi Ramis was the daughter of Thomas Johnson of Hanover County, St. Paul's Parrish was a Deed of Gift, giving 200 acres of land on Stone Horse Creek with the plantation houses, barns, orchards and all other appurtenances. Semi Ramis married ca 1730 in Virginia to Thomas Paulett , son of Thomas Paulett. Thomas, born ca 1700 died ca 1771, was in Louisa County by 1730 when he patented land in the Green Springs. He served as the first vestryman of Fredericksville Parish in 1741 until 1761 when he became a vestryman of Trinity Parish. On 13 Aug. 1744 Thomas was granted 439 acres on the branch of Owen's Creek which he sold on 22 April 1746 to John Mackquerry of Louisa County. Thomas was a justice from 1748 and Sheriff in 1761. Thomas and Semi Ramis probably lived at the junction of Northeast Creek and the South Anna River. After her death, he married ca 1750 to Elizabeth Jackson Christmas (d 1800 Jefferson County, Georgia) daughter of John and Nancy Christmas. Elizabeth had a son, John Christmas. The will of Thomas Paulett of Trinity Parish was dated 7 June 1771 and recorded 11 November 1771. Thomas had to have had extensive property as his executors, sons William and Richard, had to post L 2,000 each.
References: "Hanover County, Virginia Court Records 1733-1735: Deeds, Wills and Inventories Abstracted and compiled by Rosalie Edith Davis p. 27, "The Louisa County Historical Magazine" Vol 8 No 1 Summer 1976 p. 34, "Virginia Land Records", Indexed by Gary Parks, "Charles City County Patents Issued During the Regal Government", Book No 1, "History of Louisa County, Virginia" by Malcolm H. Harris, MD, "Louisa County, Virginia", Deed Books A and B 1742-1759 Abstracted and Compiled by Rosalie Edith Davis, "Louisa County, Virginia", Deed Books C, C ½, D, D ½ 1759-1774, "Abstracts of Early Louisa County, Virginia Will Books, 1743-1819" W.B. 2, "Charlotte County, Virginia Will Book 2, 1791-1805" Abstracted by Bel Hubbard Wise, "Cavaliers and Pioneers" Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents & Grants Edited by Dennis Ray Hudgins Volume Five: 1741-1749, "Charlotte County..Rich Indeed A History from Prehistoric Time Through the Civil War", Compiled by Timothy S. Ailsworth.