|Jacob Kirkpatrick, D.D.
|He was born on Long Hill, near Basking Ridge, Somerset County, New Jersey, August 7th, 1785. He was educated in New Jersey College (Princeton); studied theology under John Woodhull, D.D.of Freehold, New Jersey; was licensed, by New Brunswick Presbytery, June 20th, 1809, and was installed by it pastor of the United First Church of Amwell, Larison's Corner, New Jersey, June 20th, 1810. This was his only charge. He died May 2d, 1866. Dr. Kirkpatrick was a kind, affectionate, exemplary Christian. Unassuming gentleness and retiring modesty were the constant ornaments of his character.
Encyclopedia of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America: Including the Northern and Southern Assemblies, Alfred Nevin, D.D., LL.D., Editor, Philadelphia (Presbyterian Encyclopedia Publishing Co., 1884).
Presbyterians established churches in the area, but none was built in the village of Ringoes until 1868, when a group from the United First Church at Larison's Corner amicably split off to found the Kirkpatrick Memorial Presbyterian Church, which remains a mainstay of village life. The church memorializes the Rev. Jacob Kirkpatrick, who served for 56 years at the three Presbyterian parishes in the area until his death in 1866, and had pushed for the establishment of a Ringoes church.
The Neo-Gothic brownstone church stands near "the point'' at the convergence of John Ringo Road and Old York Road. It remains in good condition.
From The 4/2/98 Hunterdon Country Democrat
149 Amwell Marriages by Kirkpatrick, 1810-65
|THE KIRKPATRICK MEMORIAL;
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF FATHER AND SON,
AND A SELECTION FROM THE SERMONS
REV. JACOB KIRKPATRICK, JR.,
WESCOTT & THOMSON.