"[Utah] has one of the highest per capita rates of child abuse in the nation."
- Larry Hall, Stop Hurting My Children!, Sword of the Spirit Apologetics
"Social statistics from Utah, for example, show that places where Mormonism is strongest have higher rates of...child abuse...than the nation as a whole."
- James R. Spencer, Why I Love Mormons, but not Mormonism, Take a Stand! Ministries
"[T]he rates of child abuse...in Utah are above the United States average...."
- Richard Lloyd Measures, Holy Hooks
"According to that state's Department of Vital Statistics, it ranks 13th nationally in child abuse...."
- Mark A. Taylor, Sin & Death in Mormon Country: A Latter-day Tragedy, Affirmation: Gay & Lesbian Mormons
"Child abuse is consistently higher in Utah than in the nation as a whole."
- Child Abuse in Mormonism, mazeministry.com
"Utah...is always in the top 3 in the USA in...child abuse cases."
- Neal Humphrey, A Salt Lake City Ex-Mormon Presbyterian Minister's Take On LDS Growth, Latter-day Lampoon
"The frequency of child abuse...in Utah is also extremely high."
- Richard Packham, FAQ: RAISING CHILDREN AS MORMONS
Figure 1 shows the child abuse rates for Utah and the United States. Rates are the number of victims of substantiated abuse per 1,000 residents under age 18. In each year shown, Utah's rate is within 13% of the national average.
Figure 1. Child abuse rates for the United States and Utah, 1992-1998.
Table 1. State child abuse rates for the United States and Utah, and Utah's rank, 1996-2001.
|1996||40.9 AK||14.0||1.6 ND||12.6||29/48|
|1997||47.9 AK||12.8||2.0 PA||13.6||20/44|
|1998||37.1 AK||12.9||1.9 PA||11.4||26/50|
|2000||36.6 AK||11.9||1.7 PA||12.1||21/48|
|2001||84.1 AK||12.4||1.7 PA||14.0||16/50|
Back to the Utah Statistics page