In 1906, the west pier of Conneaut Harbor was rebuilt. At the end of the west pier, the previous square front range light was replaced with a taller round rear range light. A new front range light was completed at the northern end of the new west breakwater. The beacons in these new range lights shown for the first time on October 13, 1906. The 1,054 foot east breakwall was begun in 1905 and completed in 1907.
The rear range light had a fixed red signal which could be seen for 9 3/4 miles.
A new front range light featured a fixed white signal which
could be seen for 13 3/4 miles. A mechanical fog bell was added
The new east breakwater
was extended 810 feet shoreward from 1911 to 1912. In 1913, an appropriation of $63,500 was
recommended to enlarge the harbor
and extend the breakwaters. The annual number of
vessels entering and leaving the port was approximately 3,000 with a
registered tonnage of approximately 9,000,000. In
1914, acetylene gas buoy No.
2 marked the location of the future Conneaut Harbor Light and
Fog Signal Station at the northern end end of the proposed west
breakwater. The light was fixed red 10 feet above the water. The 1913
chart below also shows the proposed lakeward extension of the east
In 1915, All kerosene fueled lights were
replace with acetelyne gas fueled lights.
On May 15, 1915, a group
flashing white light, was established on the new west breakwater
On June 28, 1915, the
1906 front range light was extinguished and removal of the old west
breakwater commenced. The fog bell remained on the breakwater and
the bell was moved back as the removal of the breakwater
On September 25, 1915, a
gas buoy was established to mark the future east breakwater
pierhead. The light was fixed white and shown six feet above the