With a capital stock of $100,000 the Harper-Norton Shale Brick Co. was incorporated in February 1899. Operations began in June of that year. The plant, located on the P. B. & L. E. railroad south of the New York Central arches, had a daily capacity of 50,000 common and 22,000 repressed bricks. The shale was crushed and conducted to a pug mill where it was "tempered" and then automatically conveyed to the brick machine where dies shaped the bricks at the rate of 77 per minute.
The bricks were cut, loaded onto small cars and run into drying tunnels where they were dried-by steam and in 24 hours were ready for the kilns.
Ten large down draft kilns were erected on the Bessemer sidings. This company changed hands several years later, becoming the Conneaut Brick Co. It finally discontinued entirely the manufacture of Conneaut bricks, and its ovens and buildings were dismantled and torn down.
A famous brick patent was developed by the late Frank B. Dunn. This was known as the Dunn Wire-cut Lug Brick.
Harper-Norton Shale Brick Company
(1898 - c. 1905)
The United Brick Company
(c. 1905 - c. 1924)
New York Central Lines Brick
Madison Street, Conneaut, Ohio
Now Conneaut Historical Railroad Museum