When the Night Comes Falling From the Sky

Refer to the lyrics at www.bobdylan.com

Date: 12/16/96

Subject of the Post: "The Fields"

somebody wrote:

Does anyone have any insight on what Dylan means by "the fields" in "When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky?"

Kees de Graaf wrote:

Hi Anita, Kees de Graaf here. Well I'll have a go. You should see your query in the context of this very apocalyptic and enigmatic song. The image of the song is not always clear. One thing is clear, he is separated from his beloved who seems to be in hell. She is no longer able to make contact - don't look for me I see you- he see through walls and he knows she is hurting. Letters are no longer answered and sent to the fire place. She declined his warnings and will regret it for ever- she will have time to think about it for a while-. Judgement day has finally come - the comes falling from the sky. Look out across the fields see me returning makes me think of what happened just before Sodom and Gomorra were destroyed as written in Gen. 18 and 19. See Gen 18:21 when the Lord descends to inspect Sodom and Gomorra: 'I will go down and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it which is come unto me' Now he returns from the fields and has found that judgement has to come over these cities - he has done everything he could to prevent it - I walked two hundred miles, now look me over. I'ts the end of the chase, the moon is high . The moon is often a sign of final judgement in the Bible.

Hope this will help you - I'm not ready with this song either.... Regards

Kees de Graaf

This page hosted by Get your own Free Home Page
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws