Shooting Star

Refer to the lyrics at www.bobdylan.com

Subject of the Post: Meaning and Cross References to Other Songs

Kees de Graaf writes:

The moon is almost hidden, the stars are beginning to hide..suddenly there is this flash across the sky, a shooting star. It's doom alone that counts now. A quick flash and time has come to a permanent stop. In an instant, as in a quick movie, the poet sees his life pass by. He sees his beloved. She tried to break into another world, a world he never knew, it was all her world. He lived in another world where life and death are memorized. He asked for freedom, freedom from a world which she denied. She did not give it to him, but he took it anyway. And now, as he sees this shooting star, the night comes falling from the sky....

But he sees not only her, he also sees his own life pass by. His own failures sins and mistakes. Nobody knew of it. God alone could see in the deepest shadows and corners of his heart. Did I miss the mark? What good am I when I so often turned a deaf ear to the thunder in the sky? And he knows mow, there is nothing he can do, he has to surrender himself to the saving grace that once came over him... But that is not the end. The great cosmic happening of the last day suddenly starts. Trees -tree-trunks uprooted- that stood for thousand years sunndenly will fall. Just listen to the engine, listen to the bell....

This story will be continued, till next time

Regards
Kees de Graaf
fall

Subject of the Post: Meaning and Cross References to Other Songs

Hi everybody Kees de Graaf here. Here some more thoughts on this song. As this star shoots across the sky he looks back on the life of his beloved - she lived in another world- an on his personal life. Confronted with the holiness of God Almighty on the latter day he sees himself naked because of his sins: 'I missed the mark, I overstepped the line that only You could see'

From an individual introspection the scene shifts now to a a universal level. 'Listen to the engine, listen to the bell as the last fire- truck from hell goes rolling by'. There is one final outburst of resistance from the satanic beast. In a huge fireball - all powers that linger in the fireball heat explode- his tail tears down one third of the stars and and cast them to the earth (Rev.12:4). The good, just and devout people now know that the hour has come, they surrender to the mercy of the Lord and start praying. 'All good people are praying'. They learned to pray; Jesus gave them instructions how to pray (Mat.6:9-14) when he gave the Sermon of the Mount (Mat 5-7). A Sermon which you now may hear for the last time. All prayers are fulfilled. But 'The wicked know no peace and they just can't fake it'; they on their part start blaspheming God (Rev. 16:11). It's the last temptation.

The last radio also plays. All human indulgence in selfmade culture in music and art will come to an end. And then the last account. The great day of judgement. (Rev.20:4). The few who will judge the many. There is the final balance of his life: 'You can have what's left of me'. And he knows 'that it is too late now to say the things that You needed to hear me say'. 'I had so much left to say'. In fact, everything has been said and done. Done for us by Him. There is nothing left to do but to surrender to Him. To His mercy.

'I've seen a shooting star slip away, tomorrow is going to be another day'. An eternal day, there shall be no more night (Rev 22:5) when the last night comes falling from the sky.

Regards
Kees de Graaf

Subject of the Post: New Lyrics with Biblical References

Enjoying Kees de Graaf's analysis into When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky. It reminded me of last weeks posting of new lyrics to Shooting Star that seem to describe the same event in bible eschatology/prophecy.

The new verse that really struck something in me was:

Seen a shooting star tonight, cross the flatland roads
I's a thousand miles away
From where the end of time explodes
I was lookin' up & wonderin'
If the Dawn was breakin' through
I seen a shootin' star tonight
& I thought of you

If you go back to when Dylan was speaking more plainly regarding the future he spoke of the 1000 year reign of Jesus from Jerusalem that would end with time stopping & this world would enter Eternity. Back up to what occurs 1000 years before that happening is the 2nd coming that will be seen in the skies splitting the darkness. Isn't the dawn just another way to say the arrival of the sun/Son. & Dylan is just anticipating that event.

So, Dylan keeps his word that he will not write anything that goes against scripture. It is just we may have to press on in learning what is scripturally true and then we can really enjoy the depth of Dylan's lyrics that speak so passionately to us today. 1

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws