Million Miles

Refer to the lyrics at www.bobdylan.com

Subject of the Post: We all did love the very same one

Martin Golan wrote:

[I wanted] to toss in an insight about Million Miles Away.

It came to me that the song is not necessarily about a woman he no longer is involved with. It sounds to me (and I can relate to this) that it's about a woman he IS involved with right now, but who he can't get close to no matter how hard he tries. The kind of woman you can live with for years but never really know. "We've done everything together but I'm still a million miles away." Try it when you listen, it works.

And of course it's Sara, but don't we all love the same woman every time (like writers write the same book and singers sing the same song)?

We all did love the very same one, we just saw her from a different point of view.

Subject of the Post: We all did love the very same one

unknown wrote:

I haven't heard that change, but I do find every alteration interesting.

Million Miles, IMO, has gone through numerous alterations.

On TooM, Dylan sings "I know plenty of people who'd put me up a day or two."

In the first concerts after TooM was released, this line changed to "I know plenty of people who'd put me up a day or two...well, maybe a few." What I found intriguing is that "a few" can be seen to modify either the plenty of people OR the number of days.

If you listen to the promo Million Miles (Binghamton February 1999), this line again changes to the rather desperate: "I know plenty of people; must be someone who'd put me up a day or two."

In all three versions, these technically minor changes enormously effect the >>meaning<< of the song.

For what it's worth, my favorite right now is the Binghamton MM. The voice tells it all. The song has lost its humor and found something better.

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws