Isis

Refer to the lyrics at www.bobdylan.com

Date: 03/28/97

Subject of the Post: Mythology Lesson

Chad Newton wrote: Dylan says in the boot "Get Ready! Tonigt Bob's Staying W/You" that the story of ISIS is true (actually they're all true he says) Does anyone know the background of this song?

Thanks, Chad

somebody else wrote:

it is often said that Dylan wrote these songs on a beach on FireIsland (?) (NY) w/ lyricist Jacques Levy .... i am pretty sure Levy's name is on the songs .... as for why dylan wrote a song about Isis, i have never heard but perhaps you might be interested in the following info

Isis was/is married to Osiris (Egyptian mythological personalities) .... Osiris was killed and his body cut into pieces by an enemy called Seth (I have heard different names for this enemy) and scattered throughout Egypt thus giving his soul no resting place according to ancientEgyptian beliefs ... Isis searched everlong to find and reassemble all the pieces, but could not find all ... (I have often wondered if this scattered body myth is an analogy for a scattered soul; a concept found in African mythology ...)

anyway ... that's the basic Isis story (Isis/Osiris) king/queen of ancientEgypt .... usually depicted as benevolentRulers ...

also, rmd readers might find of interest the fact that not only were Sara(h)/Abraham brother and sister, but also Isis and Osiris .... (Oh Sister, when I come to lie in your arms .... ) .

-d

p.s. I have read in a couple of interviews w/Bob that he doesnt recall this period in his life very well .... he says the songs on Desire have little meaning for him anymore ... altho Bob may be familiar w/some of the imagery he uses in the songs on the Desire album, he evidently want/ed/s to distance himself from the *tarot* and other esoteric mystical imagery .... i once read a quote where when he was responding to a question re: why he used TheEmpress card (signifying Desire) on the cover of the Desire album, he said something to the effect .... i dont know anything about all that stuff ... that was all Sara's shit ....

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws