In the Garden

Refer to the lyrics at www.bobdylan.com

Subject of the Post: Put Up Your Sword

Date Added: 08/29/98

TBoneFrank wrote:

In the Gospel According to St Bob, we have Jesus telling Peter to 'put
up your sword' in the garden.  Does that mean that he wanted Peter to
cut the high priest's or soldier's ear off.

Could someone explain this gloss?

Bill Parr wrote:

I seem to recall from my religion classes as a youth that when Jesus was
arrested in the garden, Peter tried to defend him and stabbed a soldier.  
Jesus told Peter to stop and then healed the soldier's wound.  So, 
by "put up your sword", he meant put your sword away.

Subject of the Post: Scripture Passages

Date Added: 08/29/98

bill parr cites scripture passages relevant to the song:

From the 26th Chapter of the Gospel According to Matthew:

47And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people. 48Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast. 49And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him. 50And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him. 51And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest?s, and smote off his ear. 52Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. 53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? 54But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be? 55In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me. 56But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled. The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

From the 18th Chapter of the Gospel According to John we read:

10Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest?s servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant?s name was Malchus. 11Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it? 12Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him, The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769. Note the quote "Put up again thy sword."

This page hosted by Get your own Free Home Page
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws