Down in the Flood

Refer to the lyrics at www.bobdylan.com

Subject of the Post: Biblical References

Kees de Graaf writes:

This song was recorded just before the John Wesley Harding recording sessions in 1967. As pointed out by many JWH is full of Biblical allusions. This song proves that the apocalyptic notion is very much prominent also in Dylan's early work. After his conversion to christianity in 1979 the apocalyptic conceit remained, the only difference is that 'apocalyptic salt' from the New Testament was added: 'No more water but fire next time'. The basic concept remained in tact however. So let's say that this song was from the period he mainly dwelt on the Old Testament (note also e.g. 'Pharaoh's tribe, drownded in the tide' on 'When the Ship comes in',1963).

The main characteristics of the apocalypse are:

Let's see how this theme is worked out in this song:

There is 'a crash on the levee, water is gonna overflow'. It is clear that this is not an ordinary flood but it is 'the meanest flood that anybody's seen'. I think that the author had Noah's Flood in mind as described in Genesis 6. The great ancient world catastrophe when the world was flooded and only eight souls were saved in the ark of Noah. Like in the days of Noah there was nothing left that could save people: 'no boat is gonna row'. People trying to 'escape on the run' for the ever rising water to the highest point where they can keep their feet dry. You can go to the highest point - or even to the most northernly point of the North American continent at William's Point but in vain. 'You can bust your feet or rock this joint' but it is all useless.

We also see the separation between the good and the evil. This separation runs right through families ' One shall be taken and the other left' (St.Luk 17:34-36). Lot is saved from the city of Sodom -'the city is on fire with the burning flesh of men'- whereas his wife who looked back to the city turned into a salt -pillar: sugar for sugar and salt for salt. The same happens here. Apparently the author is saved -he lives in another world- but his beloved 'mama' is refused. She bangs on the door of the ark but in vain. It cannot be opened, the water is gonna overflow. The days of the 'long-suffering of the Lord to us-ward, not willing that any one should perish' (2 Peter 3:9) are finally over. Mercy can only be given when asked for but it was not requested. Mama has 'to find herself another best friend somehow'. The world was her friend but does she have another friend? There are no friends left. 'All the friends I ever had are gone' It's now 'sugar for sugar salt for salt,king for king and queen for queen'. And 'eye for an eye ( I & I) and a tooth for a tooth' The last account. Only equal payment will do now. It could have been different though. There was freedom for mama just around the corner but she refused and is now being refused.

Regards
Kees de Graaf

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws