Changing of the Guard

Refer to the lyrics at www.bobdylan.com

Date: 11/13/96

Subject of the Post: Biblical References

jh wrote:

PEACE WILL COME WITH TRANQUILITY & SPLENDOR ON THE WHEELS OF FIRE...

I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, Whose garments were white as snow, and the hair of His head like the pure wool: His throne was like the fiery flame, and His wheels as the burning fire. A fiery stream issued and came forth from before Him: thousand thousands ministered unto Him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened. I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.

As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and times. I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of Man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought Him near before Him. And there was given Him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve Him: His dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and His kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

-Daniel 7:9-14

Date: 12/28/96

Subject of the Post: More Biblical References

Kees de Graaf wrote:

Well, Street Legal marks a turning point in Dylan's career and this is reflected in the lyrics. The album forshadows his christian conversion which was about to come at that time (1979). Changing of the Guards is a good example of this. He looks back over the last sixteen years as if in a millitary assembly or parade. All troops, all banners are united on the field and the general makes a review of what has been achieved in this army so far. The good shepherd (God, Jesus) is not satisfied with the result. The mean (and women) are desparately divided. He planned unity however. The leaves are starting to fall (also here)- judgement is coming up. It's all coming to a final conclusion. All is gonna change. The changing of the guards is coming up.... your second query can be seen in the same way. Dylan always seems to have lived 'in another world' than his beloved one(s). This issue keeps on coming back and back again -even untill 'Shooting Star' -'You trieed to break in, in a world I never knew'.The thought that his lover could be in hell - something which isd also very prominent on 'when the night comes falling from the sky'- fills him with fear and makes him sweat. He on the other hand is about to step out from the darkness into the light of his newly found faith and he asks his lover to wait till this finally going to happen.....

Regards

Kees de Graaf

Subject of the Post: Song Meaning

Richard wrote:

someone recently posted a question about the meaning of changing of the guards and I had to throw in my two cents:

this is the one of the most important songs of Bob's career. It is not "fake dylan" or thrown together as some may say. When I studied this song I listened to it every day for a few months the sheer determination in dylan's voice told me this song is a clear vision of his and not senseless ramblings. I tried to piece together what dylan was doing in early 1978. In an interview he mentions his "psychic adviser" Tamara Rand. She aledgedly helped him realise his past lives(!) through hypnosis. Then it hit me. Changing of the guards is a recollection of his past lives in marketplaces, riding past destruction, witches, etc.. The "I don't need your organization" verse would represent his "present life" and echoes The Times They A Changin' where he advised people to "start swiming or you'll sink like a stone". The last verse is perhaps the most profound. In it he forsees a future where death finally surenders, but not without much fire(struggle). This foreshadows his 79-80 onstage rants about God destroying Evil in the end.

Subject of the Post: What's a Dog Soldier?

"Bobluvver" wrote:

I was left wondering if there is any significance to Dylan's-"dog soldiers "

Pat responded:

This gets my vote . . .

[ From "The West" at: http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/wpages/wpgs100/w11_006.htm ]

"The dog soldiers were the elite military organizations in the tribe. They were the last line of defense for the people. And so they were greatly esteemed. The warriors in the society were outfitted with a particular sash, which trailed the ground. And each member carried a sacred arrow. And in time of battle, the dog soldier would impale the sash to the ground and stand the ground to the death.

They had a song which only the members could sing, and only in the face of death. So you can imagine, that children, when they saw a dog soldier go by, must have just -- Ahhh, wow! Look at that guy, he's a dog soldier!"

-- N. Scott Momaday

Subject of the Post: Meaning of Song

tvargan wrote:

Changing of the guards, to me, is about a love affair that takes place during the crucades. About 1000 years ago the Pope sanctioned Europeans to march to Jeruselem to take the city from thwe Muslims.

All Europe united together... 16 banners untied...

The good shepherd ( christ ) is greiving because his city is in infidel hands.

The market plave where merchants and theives are hungry for power seems to give a middle eastern impression.

however, a soldier sees and falls in love with a local muslim girl, the ebony maid.

His love for her goes against all that he has been taught- she is the heathen, the infidel. The unreqinted love is a symbol of how much better it would be if the two religions could work together.... the alternative is elimination.... or your hearts must have the courage of the changing of the guards.

The conclusion " peace will come "

and " when a false idol falls "

all seem to indicate this crazy struggle will end, when the two religions unite,

and of course this was written at a time when dylan was moving to Catholicism.

I could go on, there is so much more, if you are interested.......

A copule more bits.

Dog soldiers are also a name for the very worst troops... the coomparison is hauling all the dogs in the village together and sending them at the enemy. Basically a metaphor for totally undisciplined troops.

During the crucades there were soldiers who on entering muslim temples proceded to uritate on tapestries, and on entering a palace, sat on the throne.

The contrast between these troops and the hall of mirrors....

This page hosted by Get your own Free Home Page
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws