Black Diamond Bay

Refer to the lyrics at www.bobdylan.com

Subject of the Post: Meaning of the Song

Date Added: 02/17/1998

Bill Kruste wrote:

My thoughts about Black Diamond Bay. It's like a Russian Tea Doll, a description of a scene from changing perspectives or vantage points.

The woman, obviously beautiful, but lonely. Having done a lot in her life but having nothing to show for it. (her passport shows her face from another time &place...looks nothing like that... .. remnants of her affairs...scattered in the wild wind). She sees the Greek someone important/worthwhile, perhaps her salvation from the emptiness that she feels.

The Soldier sees the woman and something beautiful/desirable, but he's crude and can't find the way to approach or attain her. (accosts her from the gambling room, "grabs her hand, says heres a ring - it cost a grand) Tries to impress her will bravado/machissmo, flashing money.

Meanwhile the object of her desires, her salvation, has so little regard for his own worth that he can only focus on his own destruction. And won't even speak to her. What she seeks as desirable, would only be full of trouble and despair if she were to obtain it, but it's impossible, which only makes her desire it more. ("hand written sign said Do Not Disturb, she knocks upon it anyway")

The Gambler is so intent on acheiveing his goal that he can't see his world crumbling around him. The deskclerk "I just work here" - apathy, resigned to his fate? THEN the final shift in perspectives, "Didn't seem like much was happening, so I turned off the tv and went to grab another beer"

Kind of like Horton Hears a Who too. Worlds within worlds.

This page hosted by Get your own Free Home Page
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws