Absolutely Sweet Marie

Refer to the lyrics at www.bobdylan.com

Subject of the Post: Meaning of "Live Outside the Law" line

Alan in Knoxville wrote:

If a person is going to live without the shackles of law, or more precisely, if they would aspire to live beyond the simple law (i.e.. sharing with others rather than simply not stealing), they must be far more honest with themselves than most of us are able to become. To circumvent the law for a greater good would be a rationalization of less than pure motives for all but the best of us. So, to live outside (above or beyond) the law requires a tremendous degree of honesty . . .

Jan Marica wrote:

I have always taken this in the sense that without the framework of a social system of law and order ( a concept not a reality) social order requires honesty and responsibility on each individuals part.

This is the basic concept of anarchy. Do ducks need a traffic monitor to fly in a flock? I don't think so. And if each human being was willing to take responsibility and be honest in his/her dealings with others, we wouldn't need a government.

The idea that we do "need" a government is debateable, and in fact most governments do not actually fill the role that they are ostensibly created to fill. Most governments just help the rich and powerful maintain their position by enforcing a system of laws and economic policies that concentrate all the wealth, power and opportunity in the hands of a few.

Pete Oppel wrote:

I recommend "The Wild Bunch," one of the greatest movies of all time. This was what this movie was all about. In fact, William Holden makes a wonderful speech about that very subject early in the film. I suggest you watch this movie and then you will know exactly what "to live outside the law you must be honest" really means.

Editor's note: Dylan, I believe, has mentioned that he liked this movie, and often cites Marlon Brando (the star) as an actor he respects and admires. I don't agree that it's a great movie, or even a good movie, but apparently it was very affecting to people watching it when it came out. I'll have to watch it again in relation to this post.

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws