Cold Awakening


By NewGab
New Gab's Xena Obsession Page - Fanfics - Sins of the Bard

Disclaimers: Xena Warrior Princess and all the other characters from the series belong to Renaissance Pictures and Universal Studios There is no profit involved with this story. It�s just for kicks. But the ideas and all that stuff all are mine and I would appreciate no copying if you ever get the urge to do so.

Subtext: You mean the idea that they�re not more than friends? Cause if you mean it the other way around you must be thinking of a different show, there is no *sub*text about their relationship�itss all *main*text. But of course strictly PG-13 stuff here... I�m not very partial to porn...

Violence: This is a Xena story of course there's violence, but nothing tot graphic. This story is purely PG-13 on all levels.

Comments: This story takes place after my two previous stories Gabrielle: Destroyer of Nations and Sins of the Bard. I would advise you to read them both before this one or you�ll be scratching your head going �What the hell?� I�d love to hear feedback so feel free to send comments to Me!

Cold Awakening

The cold was almost unbearable. Snow swirled around the land in a thick blanket. And two friends and their horse would be stuck in the middle of it if not for the warrior�s vast knowledge of the land around them. The warrior had reluctantly led them to take shelter in a small cave next to a gorge which at one time was a river of flowing red hot lava were two goddesses had been encased in when the lava had solidified. both friends knew it was only a matter of time before they would escape. Which made both women even more reluctant to take shelter so close to the gorge. Gabrielle especially. Velaska held a grudge against Gabrielle for taking her place as Queen of the Amazons. So when she became a goddess she naturally tried to kill the young bard. Which wasn�t so bad except the fact that the goddess preceeded to hunt her like an animal, which scared the young peaceful bard. Needless to say Gabrielle was not looking forward to Velaska�s escape.
�So how long do you think it will take for this storm to pass?� Gabrielle asked nervously her teeth chattering.
�I think we may be stuck here for a few days.� Her friend answered with a sigh, wanting out of the cave as much as her friend.
�Great.� Was the sarcastic reply. �How much firewood do we have left?�
�Barely enough to get us through the night.� The warrior chattered back, her frustration at the current situation evident in her voice.
�Why exactly are we traipsing through Amazonia in the middle of the winter anyway?�
�To go to the amazons.� Xena teased her.
Gabrielle gave her a mocked annoyed look. �I figured that much out thank you. Is there a specific reason why we are going to the amazons now and not waiting till after the winter thaw?�
Xena smiled. �Well I didn�t exactly know what season it was after Aphrodite and Ares sent us back so I really didn�t know a blizzard would start up half way there�as for why we�re going...It�s a surprise so you�ll have to wait.�
�Surprise huh?�
�Yep.�
�Hint?�
�Nope.�
�Grr.�
�Heh.� Xena laughed.
�This had better be one Hades of a surprise...� Gabrielle grumbled. �It�s freezing!� The bard added with a shiver.
Xena gave her a gentle smile this time. She then opened up the blanket wrapped around her shoulders in invitation. Gabrielle immediately complied, snuggling against the warmth of her soulmate�s body and sighing as the warmth of the blanket mixed with that of her soulmate�s long arms enveloped her.
�Xena?� Gabrielle spoke softly into her warrior�s shoulder.
�Mmm?�
�I was kind of wondering� since we�re kinda close to where Velaska and Callisto are trapped..�
�Do you think they might get out?� Don�t worry about it, love. It would be ten times harder for Velaska or Callisto to get out of there in the middle of winter, the grounds harder in the winter cause of the cold. Plus not to mention all of the landslides and avalanches that occur around here.� Xena spoke reassuringly, but then realized, by the look on her partner�s face; she had done just the opposite...
�Avalanches?� Gabrielle inquired.
�Yeah they happen a lot around here that�s kinda why I was hopping not to get stuck here. But don�t worry I�ve been in them before and survived so it�s not exactly impossible to survive one.�
For her. Gabrielle mused not at all put at ease by her soulmate�s words. She then decided to change the subject. �So we got anything in our packs to eat or is it one of those nights were �if you�re hungry eat a stick�?� Gabrielle jokingly asked.
�Hmm well we have some berries here but if you prefer a stick well . . . we may run out of fire wood but . . .� The warrior offered getting a surprised laugh out of her friend. Gabrielle buried her face in her soulmate�s shoulder in attempt to control her laughter.
�I guess I can live with berries. I can�t very well let your puny mortal self freeze to death while I eat all your fire wood can I?� Gabrielle asked after finally getting control of her laughter. Xena handed her a handful of berries.
�Sorry your godliness, you must be bored having to put up with us mortal�s problems and needs.� The warrior moke-bowed to Gabrielle, happy to get her soulmate to laugh. A sound the warrior had missed hearing while she had been dead.
�It�s alright you mortals can�t help yourselves.� Gabrielle said mocking a snobbish voice she had heard a king use once. The two looked at each other in silence then burst into laughter. And soon the two were gasping and holding their sides from laughing and shaking so hard. But then they began to shake for a different reason. The two stopped laughing immediately. The entire cave was shaking. The both snapped their heads towards the entrance as Argo cried out and galloped out of the cave full speed. It took Xena all of three seconds to put it together.
�Avalanche!� Xena shouted throwing herself over Gabrielle, forcing to the ground. �Get down!�
The two huddled together as everything crashed and shook about them. Then the two felt something cold and hard falling on top of them. Then at last every thing was quite. All signs of life and the cave itself for that matter were gone covered in a thick blanket of snow.

********************************************

Xena was at first aware of the cold then of the pain that engulfed her entire body. Then of the still, icy cold form that lay beneath her. �Alright warrior princess how are you going get yourself out of this mess?� Xena thought to herself. �And you better think of something quick before we run out of air or� Xena winced �bleed to death having had rocks and amusingly enough sticks sitting on top of you aside from the snow.�
Xena tried to concentrate on a plan but her head hurt too much and the cold made her body and senses numb. And before she knew it, she went out again.

********************************************

The bard awoke and almost cried out at the pain she felt white-hot pain pulsing through in her arm, the rest of her body not feeling much better. It took Gabrielle a few more minutes to regain her bearings then she noticed there was something cold and flesh-like on top of her. Xena! Is she all right? Oh Gods she took all the bad hits herself! She could be dying! �Xena.� Gabrielle at first whispered in a hoarse voice, she then cleared it and spoke a bit louder. �Xena. Come on Xena you need to wake up.� There was no answer. Gabrielle began to panic. �Come on Xena you can�t leave me here like this! Xena . . . please . . . you can�t just die on me like this! I need you. I just got to back you can�t die! If you die I-I-I can�t ask you to marry me like I was going to once we reached the vil-village or . . .�Gabrielle was babbling and crying all at the same time. And didn�t even notice when the form above her began to stir and moan.
�You wanna get married?� the warrior rasped out.
�Xena! You�re all right!� Gabrielle gasped out.
�Are you-� Xena stopped to clear her throat �all right?�
�I�m fine, but you had me worried there for a moment.� The bard smiled more for Xena than for anything else.
�I�m great. You were gonna ask me to marry you huh?� Xena questioned humor in her voice at having heard what she knew she wasn�t suppose to have.
�You weren�t suppose to hear that.� Gabrielle grumbled.
�Funny that was my plan for when we got there.�
�That was the surprise?� The bard questioned.
�That and asking if you wanted to settle down with the amazons.� The warrior replied seriously, mentaly cringing not sure of the reaction she would receive
�You�re asking me if I want to retire with you? I thought you didn�t want to do that till you were too old to fight.� Gabrielle told the warrior confused.
�Gabrielle I told you that because I thought my only priority in life was to find my redemption now I realize that there are things far more important that my redemption.� The warrior told her with a serious tone.
�Like what? Xena I don�t want you to give up your chance at redemption for me.� Gabrielle protested
�Like life.� Xena answered simply. �Before Aphrodite changed our fates I chose redemption over family and it made me realize that my sacrifice was unneeded. You are my redemption Gabrielle. Each moment of happiness you experience because of something I did sends me to Eleseia.� A long silence followed.
�Xena?�
�Mmm?�
�You know you�re the only person I know that would propose to someone under a ton of rocks.�
�You started it.� Xena grumbled. �So how do you suppose we get out of this mess?�
�Not a gods be damned frigin clue.�
�Alright then hmmmmmm�
The warrior ran through some options but none of them seemed to be the answer to her problem. �Damn it I finally got it through my thick skull how to live my life I am not going to let a bunch of damn rocks keep me from life with Gabrielle!� Anger was boiling through Xena now and then with an ear-piercing yell Xena grabbed the startled Gabrielle and burst out of their icy prison with strength that frightened even herself, which now revealed the interior of the cave. The freezing warrior pushed back her frozen hair and cautiously sat up to check for injuries on herself after making sure she and Gabrielle were both out of the rocks. And to make her day even better the warrior found her left leg was badly sprained maybe even broken Xena couldn�t tell in the darkness of the cavern.
�Is it broken?� The bard asked out of breath. �Not sure.� Xena answered. Xena then looked over her friend�s body. �But your arm is.� Both hers and the bard�s body were caked in ice, and aside from the odd scrap or two the bard looked okay except for a badly broken arm and a huge bump on her head. The warrior looked fine aside from the ankle she knew she would not be able to walk on.
�Great.� She sighed.
�Come here so I can set it.� Gabrielle obeyed and held out her arm bracing her self for the pain. �You ready?� She asked, Gabrielle nodded clenching her teeth but was unable to hold back a cry of pain and the warrior quickly set her arm. Xena then took her sword scabbard and tied it to the bard�s arm with the leather strap that hung from it.
�You okay?� Xena asked quietly, her voice filled with sympathy for her friend as she pulled the bard into careful embrace.
Gabrielle nodded in answer to her friend. She then sat up as the throbbing pain in her arm finally ebbed.
�What about your ankle?� Gabrielle questioned worridly.
Xena examined the ankle in question. �Wow I think I got lucky. It�s just badly sprained.
Gabrielle shook her head and chuckled. �I could swear you were made of iron.�
�So it that a yes?� Xena said referring to her proposal when they were trapped.
�I asked you first.�
�No you stated you wanted to ask me.�
�You didn�t ask either!� Gabrielle laughed.
�So that means you don�t wanna marry me? Xena said with a playful pout. Lips meeting hers were her answer and after a few moments of �answering� her soulmate�s question.
�That answer your question?� The bard whispered �Mmm dunno...I think I need another kiss to make sure�� Xena answered slightly breathless.
Gabrielle laughed. �One thing at a time Xena. First we get out of here then you can have all the kisses you want�So long as they�re my kisses.� Gabrielle gave Xena a warning glare. The warrior just chuckled and gave her a wink.
�I�ll keep that in mind, my bard.�
�Great so how do we get ourselves out of this one?� The bard inquired.
�Well it�s either start digging in the snow or explore this cave for another way out and with our luck find a bear to attack us, your choice.� Xena told her friend grinning from ear to ear an almost giddy feeling over taking her.
�Hmmm as much as I love digging around in things I think I�ll take my chances with the bears in the cave.� Her soulmate decided.
Xena laughed �Alright then let�s get going. I can�t wait to get to the village and sit next a nice fire with a nice bed and-�
�Come on warrior.� Gabrielle laughed helping her soulmate to her feet letting Xena lean on her good side. �It�s time to explore the dark and mysterious cavern.� Gabrielle mocked a cryptic tone of voice.
�This will be one for the scrolls.� Was the warrior�s last comment as the two quietly began making their way through the dark cavern. Their only protection was the sword Xena carried in her free hand that she now had to carry since her scabbard was now a makeshift splint for her friend.
Neither noticing the figure that followed behind them stalking them, waiting just for the right moment.

********************************************

�Wait stop.� Xena gasped as Gabrielle helped her sit down on a bolder. The two had been walking for hours in the pitch-blackness of the cavern both having to stop several times already due to injury.
�Hurts?� Gabrielle asked gently sitting next to her friend on the ground and leaning her head on the cool surface of the cavern wall and closing her eyes in pain and weariness.
Xena nodded wearily �A little, is your head wound bothering you?�
The bard nodded back �Yeah it�s throbbing more now.�
There was silence Xena was the first to break it �We�re not doing so hot huh?�
�Tired . . .� Gabrielle whispered as her eye�s fluttered shut.
�Gabrielle!� Xena shouted startling her friend into conciseness. �You gotta stay awake with a head wound like that.� She explained. Gabrielle nodded as she tried to wake herself.
�You ready?� The bard asked reluctantly and sighed.
Xena sighed back �Yeah, can you help me up?�
Before Gabrielle could so much as reply a figure appeared, a female figure to be exact, dusky chestnut strands fell loosely over her shoulders outlining her angular face bringing out her almost white blue eyes. Her body was covered in a brief deer skin halter top and wrap around skirt with a few feathers here and there to represent her being an amazon. Gabrielle knew her all to well.
�Velaska.� The bard realized and said it aloud in calm recognition nodding her head.
�Gabrielle oh how I�ve missed you my dear queen.� The goddess began. �But I have other things to do so let�s skip the chit chat and get down to business.� And with that Velaska threw up her arms and a force of wind or something Gabrielle couldn�t tell lifted her up and threw her several feet away into a far away wall. The bard�s body landed on the ground with a horrid crunch.
Xena watched in shock, then she quickly snapped out of it knowing her friend needed her help she then gathered her remaining strength and grabbed her sword that lay at her side and charged at the goddess without really thinking. Which cost her. For before she even struck out at the goddess a beam of lightning shot her and sent her flying in the other direction; knocking her unconscious as she hit the ground.
Velaska laughed. �Oh this is almost to easy!� She then turned and walked towards the desperately trying to stand Gabrielle. But the pain that wracked through her body from being thrown across the cave was too much and she collapsed the bard then lifted her head and stared defiantly into the goddess�s eyes. �Well-�Velaska started but was interrupted as the cave shook and rocks began to fall once again from the ceiling. Causing the goddess to throw her arms over her head as the rock and boulders came tumbling down over them.
Gabrielle groaned painfully as she pulled herself up and rushed to her unconscious soulmate, and without even a second�s regard to her own safety the bard threw herself on top of the warrior�s body, shielding her from the merciless rocks that were beating down on them

********************************************

Gabrielle�s eyes opened to find herself hog tied on the ground in the middle of the cave next to a roaring fire. It appeared that Velaska had cleared all the rocks the Avalanche had caused, there even seemed to be a path that lead out of the cave. The bard then noticed that she was healed of all her wounds and second that her soulmate was nowhere to be found. The bard looked at her surroundings the best she could but couldn�t see much through the fire that she was almost dangerously close to.
�Oh look Xena your little whore is awake!� Gabrielle heard Velaska exclaim excitedly. Though she still could not see them.
�Velaska if you touch her-�
�You�ll what, give me rope burn?� Velaska laughed. �Please Xena you�re not exactly in the position to threaten me. Besides you can relax I�m not going to hurt her, there are better revenges than just simply beating her to death. Like perhaps beating you to death.� The goddess laughed.
Gabrielle at hearing these words tried even harder to break free of the bindings that kept her from preventing her soulmate�s torment. Xena of course had other plans than to spend the rest of the day being beaten to death so a plan quickly formulated in her brain�she just hoped it would work as well as it did in her mind.
�Velaska don�t you dare harm her!� Gabrielle yelled in frustration, hoping to at least distract the goddess from harming Xena. Xena of course was mentally cursing under her breath for Gabrielle was ruining her plan. Damnit Gabrielle can�t you for once just shut up!
But luckily for Xena Velaska didn�t seem to notice as Gabrielle threw insults at her. The goddess simply moved the bard with a flick of her wrist into a better position to watch.
�Shut up queeny!� Velaska snarled which as hard as is to believe it silenced the bard in the middle of one of her more colorful insults. �Now, enjoy the show.�
�No!� Gabrielle wailed helplessly as bolts of lightning left the goddess of chaos�s hands and jolted into the warrior.
Xena gritted her teeth, biting back a moan of pain.
�Damnit it�s no fun if you don�t scream!� Velaska yelled in frustration as she shot more bolts at Xena.
Alright those things are beginning to annoy me. Xena thought growled in her mind and she rolled forward so that the next bolt hit the bindings that held her instead of her body.
Velaska yelled with rage as Xena stood up looked at her and yawned. �You really haven�t gotten used to that whole goddess thing have you?� Xena questioned with a laugh as she flipped in the air to dodge another bolt of lightning. While in midair Xena threw a dagger she kept concealed in her boot at the ground next to her widely grinning soulmate. Who took the hint and began to slice through her ropes with the dagger as Xena danced around the room avoiding the bolts that kept firing at her. All the while Velaska screamed with frustration as her plan went more and more wrong.
Gabrielle gave out a little happy yell as she finally tore through her ropes. And watched as Xena flipped and ran through the cave laughing her head off at the angry goddess. The warrior just loved it when a plan thought up in five seconds worked. Just as suddenly as the through ran through Xena�s mind a bolt grazed past her ear and into the rock wall hard, finally causing the entire cave to shake and rumble as yet another avalanche started. �RUN!� Xena yelled at Gabrielle who was already making her way to the opening in the room they were. The goddess�s scream mixed with the rumbling of falling rocks was deafening as they ran through the cave, neither sure if they were headed towards an exit or a dead end. Finally they felt the cold air of the wilderness ahead of them. Xena quickly grasped Gabrielle�s hand and they leapt for the exit as the entire cave collapsed behind them.
The both landed side-by-side lying in the snow; hands still clasped, staring up at the cloudy morning sky, both trying to regain their breath.
�Are you alright?� They both questioned as they sat up. Then burst into laughter.

********************************************

�We never can have a uneventful day can we?� Gabrielle managed through her laughter.
�Well with you here causing all the trouble...� Xena trailed off.
�I do not cause all the problems!� The bard yelled in mock outrage.
�Oh really? Wanna bet?�
�No.�
They both chuckled.
�Hey you think Argo�s alright?� Gabrielle asked. As she stood up.
�Don�t know. Lets start looking for her. I wanna get to the Amazon�s as soon as possible�which reminds me�you did promise you�d give me all the kisses I want after we got out of that cave�� The warrior wiggled an eyebrow playfully at her soulmate.
�Aren�t you worried about Argo?� The bard questioned as she moved closer to Xena.
�Mmm�Argo doesn�t give as good as kisses as you do.� Xena told her softly, her face inching towards Gabrielle�s.
Gabrielle laughed in the arms that now enclosed her. �Well its great to know I kiss better than a horse, thanks Xena.�
�Gabrielle?�
�Mmm?� Gabrielle�s voice held a dreamy note to it.
�Shut up.� Xena whispered as her lips met Gabrielle�s in a powerful kiss. When Xena pulled away, she noticed Gabrielle was crying.
�Sweetheart, what�s wrong?� Xena asked with a worried furrow in her brow. �I don�t kiss that bad do I?� Xena tried to joke.
Gabrielle shook her head as Xena pulled her into a hug. �I just-you-you could have died in there and ��
�Shhh.� Xena placed a finger to Gabrielle�s lips to silent her, understanding her soulmate�s tears now. �I promise you I�ll never let someone or something take me away from you Gab. I�ll never leave you again I swear.� The warrior comforted the bard who cried softly into the warrior�s chest.
�I�m sorry Xena, I just was afraid I�d have to go through that again�I don�t want to lose you.�
�You don�t need to apologize Gabrielle. You�ll need time to fully get over what happened. It�ll get better.� Xena told her gently. �Then again I hope you�ll always worry about me in situations. Better that than you not caring at all.� Xena attempted to joke. Gabrielle did not laugh.
�That�s not funny.� The bard told her.
�Sorry I meant that to come out more humorously�guess my insecurities got the better of me.� She shrugged.
�You know maybe we should table this conversation for when we�re not in the middle of frozen forest half dressed.
�Hey speak for yourself I�m fully clothed thank you.�
�Yeah well you�re the one that picked out this outfit for me.� Gabrielle told her soulmate as she gestured to her brief green top.
�You look cute in it.�
�Yeah tell me that when I have frostbite on my abs. Won�t be so cute then.�
Xena laughed as she lifted herself and the bard to their feet. �Lets find Argo and get the Tarterus out of here.�
�Sounds great to me.�

********************************************

It was dark when they finally reached the outskirts of the Amazon village. It took them less than five seconds to find Argo who was waiting patiently near the frozen river. Unfortunately the war-horse had apparently thrown a shoe while she escaped the avalanche, so Xena and Gabrielle where forced to walk to the village. Taking twice as long as it would have had they been riding. They couldn�t walk to terribly fast for the snow was thick and Argo was having trouble as is. So by the time they reached the village both were nearly frozen, having lost all their blankets and coats in the cave in.
They both stopped walking as they heard rustling behind the trees around them. They both simply clasped their hands over their heads in the amazon signal of peace. Immediately the sentry came out.
�Gabrielle! Xena!� The apparent leader of the masked warriors yelled through her mask. She them slid the mask off her face as she approached the two amused travelers.
�Eponin!� Gabrielle was overjoyed as she embraced the amazon. Once they pulled away and Xena and Eponin grasped arms in a warriors� handshake, Eponin threw her hands on her waist and glared at them both.
�Are you two nuts being out here in the woods half-naked?�
�Ah come on Ep. It�s not that cold.� Xena shrugged the amazon off.
�Yeah, yeah come on�wait till Ephiny hears you�ve been dragging the queen around half-naked in the snow�� Eponin joked at the warrior as she gestured them to start moving again.
�Why do I get blamed for everything?� The warrior grumbled as they started towards the village.

********************************************

�Ephiny!� Gabrielle shouted out thrilled to see her friend that as Gabrielle knew it was dead.
�Gabrielle!� Ephiny called out surprised, ran over, and gave her friend a hug. �What are you doing here? I thought you two were going to head out to Britannia. Gabrielle cringed at the thought of that. But then brightened up at the thought of why they had returned to the amazons.
�Xena and I have decided to settle down and get joined�that is if you�ll have us here?� Gabrielle questioned tentivly, totally clueless to the love the village had for her.
�Have you? Gabrielle I think you�ve been in the cold too long! You�re our queen! Of course we�ll have you! This is great news! Sweet Artemis! This means we need a ceremony for you retaking the throne and preparations for the bring festival for when you�ll be joined need to be made...this is so totally awesome! How did you ever get that big dumb warrior over there to agree to settle down?� Ephiny questioned jokingly as she finally noticed Xena�s presence.
�Actually we both wanted to settle down.� Gabrielle defended for her soulmate. As Gabrielle stated this Eponin walked up and gave the bard and Ephiny a confused look.
�What are you two gushing about?�
�Can�t talk gotta start planning!� Ephiny yelled as she grabbed the surprised Gabrielle�s arm and dragged her into her hut. �Oh and a�welcome back Xena.� Ephiny called as she dragged Gabrielle off.
�What is up with Ephiny?� The amazon questioned.
�Gabrielle just told her that we decided to stop traveling and settle down here.� The warrior replied, she herself surprised at the regents reaction.
�Hey that great! Now I�ll have a challenge in the training arena.� Eponin congratulated.
Xena laughed. �Yeah well since Ephiny doesn�t seem to want to leave Gabrielle alone until she has the whole thing planned out�why don�t we head over there now?�
�Sure lets get Argo settled first though.� Eponin agreed. As the two walked towards the stables, both still chuckling at Ephiny�s excitement.

The End
(For now)

There will be a sequel, whenever I find the time to work on it. All I can say to those who care is that it will take place a little bit after this one and it will involve both Velaska and Callisto, and I�ll try not to get rid of them the conventional way of burying them in an rock pile...
New Gab's Xena Obsession Page - Fanfics - Cold Awakening
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1