Search engines are very similar to each other in the means of what they do; however, how they find the
Information differs from one search engine to another.
- Google - An accurate, all around search engine
that is very widely used.
- Directhit - Ranks search results according
to what other people have selected as the most relevant and popular sites for your search request.
- Yahoo - A search engine providing a category
based Web directory.
- Excite - Is a global media company offering
consumers and advertisers comprehensive Internet navigation services with extensive personalization
- Metacrawler - A multi-function search
- Lycos - Develops and provides online guides to
locate and filter information on the Internet. Products enable users to accurately identify and select
information of interest to them.
- DogPile - Uses other search engines and
displays what they find.
- Searchgate - European search
engine, directory, and portal.
- About - Extensive network of sites by subject
specialists who write articles, host discussions, publish free email newsletters and provide personally
reviewed links for each topic.
- AOL Search - Search engine and directory.
- AllTheWeb - A multi-language search engine.
- HotBot - Offers users a point-and-click
interface, pull down menus, and the ability to use plain English terminology for constructing searches.
- LookSmart - searchable, category-based Web
- Web Crawler - Search
engine and directory.