My roots are from Vilnius, Lithuania. My ancestors's surnames are:
Ben-Zion Alfes, (the son of Rabbi Yermiyahu Alfes) was my great-grandfather. He was married Nechama. Their children were:
- Esther Rabin (b. 1869) repatriated to Israel and died in Tel-Aviv (1956). She had here a clothes factory. She was married Nisson Rabin. He was a publisher and also died in Tel-Aviv (apx 1940). Their children were Masha, David, Solomon, Raya, Fedia, Mottle:
- Mottle Rabin died before the World War II when he was a teenager;
- Masha Rabin and her husband Isaac Beinitz, Raya Rabin, her husband Max and their small son were killed by Nazis in Vilnius ghetto (1941). The daughter of Masha - Musia Reich is living now in Israel.
- David Rabin was my grandfather. He, his wife Lea (daughter of Shmuel Lipkowich), their daughter Niusia (23 years old with her son 1.5 year old), son Abram (15 years old) were killed in Vilnius ghetto (1941). Only their daughter Doba Rabin (my mother) was saved because she escaped to Soviet Union.
- Solomon Rabin lived in Moscow, USSR. He was engineer and was killed in 1937 during Stalin's Terror. His son Prof of Medicine Anatoly Raben repatriated to Israel (1987).
- Fedia Rabin tried to join General Wladyslaw Anders troops and probably was killed during moving via the Soviet-Iranian border.
- Shepsl (Saveliy) Alfes emigrated to South Africa (apx 1933) and died in Johannesburg. His children:
- Ilya Alfes died in Johannesburg. His sons Ben-Zion and Samuel (Shmuel) Alfes repatriated to Israel (1993).
- Ida Katz and her daughter Rachel also repatriated to Israel (1979).
- Mordechai Alfes (my grandfather, b. 1877) was dentist. He and his wife Esther (b. 1889, daughter of Yossel-Yohel Levinson ) were killed by Nazis 1942 in Miory, Belarus. Their children names are: Emmanuel (my father) and Anna. They are living now in Russia. Relatives of Esther Alfes-Levinson emigrated to USA (Buffalo, NY) between 1920-1938.
- Dr Akiva Alfes (b. 1879) repatriated to Israel before the World War II and died in Tel-Aviv (1962).
- Sonia Alfes married Haim Gurwitch. She died in Moscow, Russia.
- Malka Alfes married Yehiel Velikowsky. She died in Kazan, Russia (1965).
Return to the Home Page of Michael E. Alfes
Last Updated: Mar 20, 1997