The Montauk Project.

    The report that follows here is not of the opinion of the authors of this web page, but, it does deserve special mention as it has raised our, and the public's awareness to the existence of the USAF Radar Station: Camp Hero, at Montauk.
    The real credit to this story goes to Preston Nichols and Peter Moon, co-authors of "The Montauk Project: Experiments in Time.". More detailed information about the subject can be obtained via the "Montauk Series: The Montauk Project, Montauk Revisited, and, Pyramids of Montauk." by Preston Nichols and Peter Moon, available from Sky Books. The story that follows is one of fantastic happenings, and of both interesting motives, and, intrigueing characters.
    In 1943, the United States Navy and several other government financed groups began conducting many series of experiments that were designed to be used as "secret weapons" during the Second World War. One of these experiments has been attributed to the Department of Naval Research and was primarily focused on the ability of achieving radar invisiblity. The way in which these experiments proceeded were that, by directly involving electromagnetics, and utilizing the so-called "Unified Field Theory", scientists were able to manipulate electromagnetic waves in order to achieve this desired goal.
    The hopeful outcome was that by effectively manipulating electromagnetic waveleangths, U.S. ships, and aircraft might become "invisible" to enemy radar; these experiments were actually the preperatory groundwork for today's stealth technology. They had been running a series of small scale tests which seemed to prove the theory workable, and the experiments finally reached a peak aboard a ship of the Destroyer Class, the USS Elderidge. Huge electromagnetic generators were installed in one of the forward turrets, and once enabled, they created an electromagnetic bottle around the ship. What happened next is the material of which legends are born.
    When the Elderidge was launched into the Philadelphia Naval Yard, and the generators were turned on, the electromagnetic bottle in effect "sealed" around the ship and it did in fact become radar invisible. There was one suprising side effect however, the ship also became physically invisible before vanishing from the time-space continuum. When the ship returned, the state of the crew was even more shocking. Most of the men were drivin into insanity, presumably from the electromagnetic effect of the displacement field. There were others though, who were in even worse condition and those were the men who had been moving about while the ship was in "Hyperspace" and had now been fused with the solid structures of the ship. These experiments were officially designated as the Rainbow Project, informally, it became known as the Philadelphia Experiment.
    This side effect was sufficient to have the Rainbow Projects terminated, and the Manhattan Project, the construction of the Atomic Bomb was born.

    The stealth technology of the Rainbow Projects sat on the shelf for a good many years before being picked up again in either the late 40's, or early 50's. This was done by those who had enacted the original experiments, but now there were going to be two areas of research. One was going to be the technical aspect of manipulating the electromagnetic bottle, the other was going to be the human element, in which studies were conducted to examine why the bottle effect was sufficient to induce insanity.

    Studies continued for the next decade and the results that came forth were that the human mind was electric, and could be influenced through the effect of electromagnetics. Apparently, once the electromagnetic bottle was sealed, the mental state of awareness was suddenly isolated along with the ship. This isolation prevented the mind from having anything "solid" to be able to focus upon and identify with-in other words the "real world". Being in hyperspace became a jarring experience for the mind and it was found that in such a state, it was easily broken.

    Further studies were done, and when the reports were nearly complete, they were sent to Congress for the approval of continued tests. Not suprisingly, Congress said No!, and ordered the project to be abandoned. Now, considerable time, effort and money had already been invested in these studies. Being brushed off by Congress was not what this group wanted to hear, so an idea was hit upon to speak with the top ranking brass of the military directly. The proposal that was sent to the defense community was an idea for a weapon that would effectively make the enemy surrender before a battle could even get started- with the flick of a switch. Naturally, the military was very interested in this idea; who wouldn't want a weapon such as that in their arsenal?

    This group explained that with the currently available technology this could be achieved. They already had a start on the project, but there were some legal technicalities that had to be overcome in order for the project to proceed. Congress had already given the order to close it, and in the places where these experiments had been taking place, the Federal government kept a close eye on what was being done. Supposedly this group was affiliated with M.I.T, Brookhaven National Laboratories, RCA, and others that were under too close scrutiny of governmental watchdogs. Secrecy, and isolation was first and foremost in order for these experiments to be conducted without interruption.

    The military agreed on this matter; they were already quite familiar with the need for secrecy, and they agreed that the project could not continue at it's present locations. However, this group was in luck, the military had just what they were looking for. There was an old airforce radar station out on the eastern tip of Long Island that housed the Sage Radar system that this group required. It was situated just east of Montauk Point; about a quarter, to a half a mile from the lighthouse. The airforce base was going to be decommissioned mainly because the Sage equipment had been made osolete by satellite, and O.T.H (Over-The-Horizon) radar. At that point Montauk was still a very small, isolated, sleepy little town that was not yet the vacation spot which it has since become, so there was very little to fear from interference of either the government, or, local townspeople. This group agreed, and began moving their preexisting equipment onto the site, this was sometime in the late 1960's.

    By the very early 70's, this group had already began a series of in depth experiments on the human factor using the Sage equipment, and several Psychically Sensitive subjects in order to see just how far they could take this technology. What evolved from these tests was soon realized as experiments that were nothing less than mind control. In effect, they would sit a subject in a chair in a specified location, and then would focus the huge radar dish in that direction and begin blasting gigawatts of power at that person. By manipulating the amperage of the power used and the frequency of the waves, they were able to make people do the things that they wanted them to do. This stage was of course not reached until nearly 5-10 years of experimentation. The Psychically Sensitive subjects were supposedly trained to be able to focus their minds to a state of awareness far surpassing that of ordinary people, in fact, they were extensively trained to such a degree, that some of them were able to focus their awareness on ideas, or objects and be able to fully realize them in their physical existence. One of these subjects; who is also believed to be deeply involved with the project was a man by the name of Duncan Cameron.

    Duncan, was one of the psychics whose mental ability exceeded that of his collegues. He was supposedly able to visualize an object, or place to it's complete entirety, that if you were to have the object in your hand, or, be at that place, there would be absolutely no discernible difference.

    During these experiments in which Duncan would focus on a place, person, or object, the subject of his focus would actually physically appear somewhere on the base. There was something that was even more interesting in this though. During the time that Duncan was in the chair, and focusing on something, that object, person, or place would in fact appear, but it would appear at a time after he had already focused on it. It was soon realized, that the equipment that was being used for mind manipulation was also able to manipulate Time. Time itself was just as subject to being bent as were the minds that were the primary focus of these experiments.

    Supposedly, the scientists involved became very excited at this discovery, and a new group of people were brought in to specialize in the study of Time. With the aid of the Time Techs, a workable porthole was constructed using the electrical power of the radar system, and the mental ability of the subjects, wherein a subject would focus on a particular point in time and with the power of the radar equipment, a wormhole would manifest somewhere on the base. It has been reported that after these initial experiments got underway, a huge underground facility was set up that spanned from the base itself, into the downtown district of Montauk. This underground is supposed to have had many levels, each becomming more vast and intricate than the previous one.

    Once the time tunnel became a stabilized, predictable unit, various people were sent both backward, and forward through time. It has also been said that there was extensive extraterrestrial involvement in the Montauk Project which stemmed from a ship being sucked into the time tunnel, and appearing out at Montauk, presumably in the underground. Apparently, there had been some exchanges in technology between the aliens, and the group out at Montauk, thereby enabling them to continually upgrade the system.

    There was also another aspect of the Montauk Project which was directly tied into the initial mind control project, and that was the reconditioning of the minds of young boys. These boys were usually abducted and brought out to the base where they underwent excrutiating periods of both physical, and mental torture in order to break their minds. Once the mind had been broken, the group involved with this area set about the task of restructuring it to suit their needs. Many of these boys then became sucked into the project by becomming active willing participants themselves. Supposedly, when these boys were abducted, they were taken into the eastern bunker where they were beaten to a point of near death. Some of them had their minds broken by the use of various awareness altering drugs-much like the BZ experiments used on U.S. soldiers in Vietnam, and, it has been theorized that those experiments were in some way related to these.

    Apparently, according to the story, the entire project reached it's pinnacle when on August 12 , 1983, the time travel project at Montauk interlocked in hyperspace with the original Rainbow Project. The two projects had then suddenly become interdependant on one another wherein, it was no longer possible to terminate the project from either Camp Hero, or the USS Elderidge.

    It was during this point that a splinter group of the people responsible had formed an alliance intended to deliberatly crash the project. A subliminal commmand was introduced into the psychic subject; Duncan, and when enacted, he would visualize a bigfoot creature from his subconscious. While the two projects had become entangled, the technicians involved realized that in order to seperate them, the original Rainbow Project had to be terminated from it's source on the Elderidge. Once that was done the project could then be shut down from the Montauk end.

    While they were busy simultaniously trying to terminate the project from both ends, the subliminal command was enacted, and Duncan's bigfoot came to life. It apparently appeared somewhere on the base and began a rampage of destruction. However it only existed as long as the project was still running. Once both projects were shut down, the Elderidge returned to the Philadelphia Naval Yard, the bigfoot creature vanished, and the time tunnel collapsed.

    After this fiasco, the management of Montauk decided that the project had simply become too unstable to continue, so most of the personel were debriefed, mainly by brainwashing, others by oaths of silence, the base was closed, and the project was abandoned.

Home  Pictures of Base 
Hosted by